Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
There is an SVT Contour on campus here at Purdue. Sounds pretty sweet and of course he has a manual and such. I wish I had a manual. Damn

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
The engine swap is very common in the Contour cirlces. Brad's ideas for the SVT Contour swap were based on the information he gathered from the Contour and Cougar boards. The "hybrid" motor is not a new thing, but as far as I know, Brad is the only person to put one in a Taurus.

The reliability of the hybrid motor is a big issue. IMO, the problems many people have had with the conversion is the lack of PCM tuning after the swap. The engine runs leans, and bad things happen... With proper tuning, the hybrid should be reliable and streetable.

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
I thought the SVT Contour was only offered in manual. Just like the new 05' Focus ST, it is only offered in manual, not automatic. I personally love manual, but not in the a big city though. I am guessing by next year, there are going to be some pretty impressive mods here within the club. :banana: Just no big ones for me planned so far :(

·
Registered
322 Posts
I was unaware that they were only offered in manual. However I am not surprised. GodsPunk I do not know Golvco. What year is he and where does he live and drive? I may have seen him around. I am not sure though. Purdue is pretty big. Quite a few bulls on campus though.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm somewhat confused... doesn't the 2.5 V6 put out about 200 hp also? If this is the case, what's the advantage of doing this swap?

·
Registered
230 Posts
he said he had an SHO shop y-pipe on there, idk if it would take some fabbing to hget it on, but maybe that something duratec owners may want to consider when doing their exhaust

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Originally posted by Swim4food123@Oct 5 2004, 08:05 AM
I was unaware that they were only offered in manual. However I am not surprised. GodsPunk I do not know Golvco. What year is he and where does he live and drive? I may have seen him around. I am not sure though. Purdue is pretty big. Quite a few bulls on campus though.
I have no clue what year Golovko is...just know he goes to Purdue...PM him...

JR

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32+Oct 5 2004, 10:56 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (godspunk32 @ Oct 5 2004, 10:56 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Swim4food123@Oct 5 2004, 08:05 AM
I was unaware that they were only offered in manual.  However I am not surprised.  GodsPunk I do not know Golvco.  What year is he and where does he live and drive?  I may have seen him around.  I am not sure though.  Purdue is pretty big.  Quite a few bulls on campus though.

JR [/b][/quote]
I just randomly happened upon this thread and saw my name....

I'm a senior and I drive a white 2000 SE. If the SVT contour you're refering to is silver, I have seen that one, he used to live at wiley when I lived in Tarkington. I've also seen a few gen3 shos around campus too. What year are you?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Originally posted by golovko+Oct 5 2004, 11:19 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (golovko @ Oct 5 2004, 11:19 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 5 2004, 10:56 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Swim4food123
@Oct 5 2004, 08:05 AM
I was unaware that they were only offered in manual.  However I am not surprised.  GodsPunk I do not know Golvco.  What year is he and where does he live and drive?  I may have seen him around.  I am not sure though.  Purdue is pretty big.  Quite a few bulls on campus though.

JR

I'm a senior and I drive a white 2000 SE. If the SVT contour you're refering to is silver, I have seen that one, he used to live at wiley when I lived in Tarkington. I've also seen a few gen3 shos around campus too. What year are you? [/b][/quote]
I am a sophomore. I live at Cary and I drive a gen 2 champagne taurus SE. I think I may have seen you driving around but there are quite a few of those around on campus. I assume you live off campus?

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Originally posted by Swim4food123+Oct 5 2004, 03:37 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Swim4food123 @ Oct 5 2004, 03:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 5 2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by [email protected] 5 2004, 10:56 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Swim4food123
@Oct 5 2004, 08:05 AM

JR

I'm a senior and I drive a white 2000 SE. If the SVT contour you're refering to is silver, I have seen that one, he used to live at wiley when I lived in Tarkington. I've also seen a few gen3 shos around campus too. What year are you?
I am a sophomore. I live at Cary and I drive a gen 2 champagne taurus SE. I think I may have seen you driving around but there are quite a few of those around on campus. I assume you live off campus? [/b][/quote]
I'm currently living in Jefferson Commons, which is about 3 miles away from campus...I lived on/near campus for 3 years. If you're ever looking for me, I have a black and gold Purdue "P" license plate on the front of my car.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Originally posted by PRLatinLoco@Oct 5 2004, 07:52 AM
I'm somewhat confused... doesn't the 2.5 V6 put out about 200 hp also? If this is the case, what's the advantage of doing this swap?
Stock 2.5L Duratecs put out 170hp and 165tq. The 99-00 SVT Contours put out 200hp and 165tq. (the 98.5 had 195hp). Stock Taurus 3L Duratecs put out 200hp 200tq.

The hybrid 3L benefits from using the 2.5L cylinder heads with their smaller combustion chambers (IIRC 2.5L = 47cc vs. 3L = 52cc). The smaller combustion chamber increases the compression ratio when used on the 3L from 10:1 to 11.2:1. Guys used to do the same thing with Chevy small blocks... use the 305ci heads on the 350ci for higher compression.

Although I have not seen any dyno numbers for the hybrid engine, theory suggests there will be a power increase.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
If the only real advantage to the swap is increased compression, why not just get some domed pistons to raise the CR? Do the SVT heads flow any better than the 3L Duratec's?

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Originally posted by jtkz13@Oct 6 2004, 03:48 AM
If the only real advantage to the swap is increased compression, why not just get some domed pistons to raise the CR? Do the SVT heads flow any better than the 3L Duratec's?
I don't know if domed pistons would work. First of all, they would have to be custom made, and secondly, this is an interference engine... I don't know if there is enough clearance.

The 2.5L heads have smaller intake and exhaust valves. It's best to have the heads machined and the valves replaced with 3L valves. Brad only replaced the exhaust valves. I have not seen actual numbers, but I've read that the 2.5L and 3L heads flow almost the same. The exhaust valves are definitely smaller though, so I agree with Brad and only changing the exhaust valves.

(2.5L intake valves are 32mm and exhaust valves are 26mm, flow is 284cfm and 228cfm respectively)
(2002 3L intake valves are 35mm and exhaust valves are 30mm flow is 312cfm and 268 respectively)

The second reason to replace the heads with SVT heads is the longer duration cams. (SVT = 250 degrees on the primary lobe vs. stock 244)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts