Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.............. is there anyone in or near Dallas TX, (that's is not looking for a car
) willing to go to a Dallas car dealer to check one out for me?

Or............

Any 97 SHO owners: What problems have you had with your cars? Anything I should be concerned with if I were looking to buy one?

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
If you get a 3rd gen SHO, you'll probably want to get the Cam's welded or pinned. I think It runs a couple hundred bucks to do this...Or you could bug the dealer to do it before they sell it to you, or knock down the price...Just bring in some online info about it. Other than that just make sure it wasnt wrecked, isnt rotting underneath, breaks and tires are good...check anything for leaks....yada yada. As for being in Dallas....only during christmas, sorry.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
*Edit* Took out questions about the cams, I found what I needed

Also, if I were to purchase another car, it would only get about 7-8k a year put on it, cuz that's the most I put on my truck now. The wife doesn't like the Mustang GT idea b/c of having two kids, and I think she'll go for a 4dr backup ride to teh Vulcan.

B

·
0 Posts
Should I buy a used V8 SHO? *link*

Another link

Care and feeding of a SHO

CAm weld details

Valve cover removal

These links, and V8 SHO.com should help you out tremendously. There's a lot of information contained there.

Basically, for a cam weld, you'll need to remove the intake, valve covers, and lower intake. The welding is outlined above, but just a note, you may want to thoroughly clean the lower intake (IMRC) at the same time. They usually get pretty carboned up, making the secondaries stick. If you're a welder, you should have no problems welding the cams. If needed, I may be able to get Kirk Doucette to send you a junk cam to practice on.

*edit*

Also, if you check out the members' list on V8 SHO, there are some in the Dallas area, perhaps you could get one of them to check the car out for you.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, Bob. thats what I found too.

My best "Ebay Type Feedback for teh B0B":

AAAA++++ Fast Delivery! An Asset to TCCA. Would Post Again.

Andy

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by acreature@Apr 6 2004, 09:21 AM
thanks, Bob. thats what I found too.

My best "Ebay Type Feedback for teh B0B":

AAAA++++ Fast Delivery! An Asset to TCCA. Would Post Again.

Andy
Found member very easy to get along with, especially when bribed with donuts.

Can I have my ticket now?

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
**Edit** Actually, you'll get more from me with Bagels w/ Cream Cheese. The donuts are an Urban Legend

Only have about 500 sq miles of Jurisdiction. I think you are too far away, but let me know when you make down this way, and I will accomodate

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
All I can say is, "shop around." I test drove 6 or 7 V8 SHOs before I found "the one." Many of them had too many dents, dings, or other wear and tear. Some of the really nice low mileage ones were WAY overpriced (I laughed at one dealer who wanted $12,500 for a 98.) I passed up some good deals, but if I had to do it all over, I'd end up with this one anyway.

BTW, check the tranny fluid.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, I am assuming the cam issue holds true for all Gen 3 SHO's.... 96-99?

Any issues with the Gen 2 SHO's? (Besides the default Gen 2 Tranny issue.)

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by acreature@Apr 6 2004, 04:16 PM
So, I am assuming the cam issue holds true for all Gen 3 SHO's.... 96-99?[/b]
Unfortunately, yes.

Any issues with the Gen 2 SHO's? (Besides the default Gen 2 Tranny issue.)[/b]
If you get an MTX and don't drop the clutch at 5k you should be all set. ATXs are prone to failure, however there's repairs and upgrades that make them more reliable. The only thing that would hold me back on another V6 SHO is the scarce supply of important parts (gaskets, idler pulleys, etc) and the accompanying high price tag that comes from sources that have the parts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts