Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I honestly do not remember the last time I detailed the hell out of the exterior of my car. So today, I done did it.

Stuff used: Meguairs Gold class shampoo
Meguairs Clay bar
Meguairs Cleaning wax
Meguairs NXT Synthetic Liquid Wax

Scrubbed it, clayed it, first time ever, then did the cleaning wax, then applied the synthetic wax. Didn't have a before picture, but I have a few Afters, until the DSLR died :(

Note: These next pictures are only a fantasy... I decided while I had my IL plates off... I would slap what should be on my Taurus ;)

The NC plate look way better on my Taurus than my Illinois plates. First In Flight > Land of Lincoln (Personal preference). Sadly, I had to take those way expired plates off, and slap the bad IL plates (front and back) back on. For anyone who pays attention, I one day aspire to move back to NC :)

Now it looks all pretty, but it has a few scratches, dings, and such. The rear bumper has been hit numerous times by my brother's truck... He won't admit that. The driver side rear door has a small dent in it, and a few random scratches. The clay bar absolutely did help with much of the look to it. I notice a huge difference in it now. It's really kinda depressing when I notice all the scratches and such. Sure they are tiny, but I notice em.

Other than that, I am happy how it turned out, I just wish my Digital camera would have lasted longer... The interior looks great too, used Meguairs NXT Interior Tech Protect, best stuff ever in my opinion... Tomorrow maybe I'll take more if the car didn't get dirty :p

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I do love the color myself :)
The one thing I love about the color of my car, is when it's dirty, it's barely noticeable :p

But now with all this wax and such, it should be good to go for awhile.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Looks great!

I didn't know they made an NXT interior cleaner... Have to pick that up sometime...

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (mmmfloorpie @ May 18 2009, 08:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=726043
Looks great!

I didn't know they made an NXT interior cleaner... Have to pick that up sometime...[/b]
Well, it USED to be at AutoZone, when I worked there, I picked that up and a bunch of other NXT stuff. Now the only place I can find it is here: http://meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G12924

QUOTE (michakaveli @ May 18 2009, 08:48 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=726045
QUOTE (2000Sable @ May 18 2009, 05:17 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=726023
Really looks good.[/b]

Looks Good! Just gotta get rid of that dealer decal. Plastic razor blades, and heat will help remove the decal. Isopropyl Alcohol will remove the adhesive left behind.
[/b][/quote]

Not too concerned with that. I will one of these days. They were a fantastic dealer, but they are gone now. It's one of my projects on my list though :)

Though, a through detailing has fully restored my love for my car, so I decided against possibly trading her in now, and just going to first get a new motorcycle :p

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
That Bull is looking really good, Kev! We should meet up sometime to see who's Taurus looks shinier. :p And BTW, I hate the dual-plate laws here, too. I saw a wicked custom chromed plate with the Blue Oval on it, but I can't put one of those on without risking a ticket.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd have to re-wash my Taurus, but I am somewhat confident mine is :lol2:

All the rain we've recently had dirtied her up, but the rain easily runs off and beads up like it should, meant to take a picture. I also have more pictures, but too lazy to go though em. Eventually I will and some interior shots I have.

·
Registered
340 Posts
QUOTE (TaurusKev @ May 17 2009, 11:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=725980
The one thing I love about the color of my car, is when it's dirty, it's barely noticeable :p[/b]
That is main reason I purchased a silver color when I purchased this car.

My previous car was Midnight Blue Metallic and I constantly babied that car.

This car, on the other hand, gets washed a couple times per YEAR instead of month.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wash mine a couple times a year. The most critical part is each spring, and fall, applying wax and such.

This spring I decided to claybar it, which was a first, probably do that each spring now. I baby the interior more than the exterior. I spend more time in there anyway :p

However, I do love to sit and admire her when clean. I don't have all the time to wash her almost every week, one day :)

From a distance, the car looks clean, up close you can see the dirt. When I drove from IL to NC back in January, all the salt, sludge, etc, the car from afar looked decently clean, but up close, you could tell.

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Silver Frost is a great color because it resists looking filthy pretty well, so when my car is dirty, the only real way to tell from more than ~10 feet away is if the windows are caked with dust or filth (especially the spot where the left wiper stops sweeping over and deposits whatever was covering the windshield). Or, its obvious if I happened to have been carpet-bombed with bird ****. That happens after every time I wash it, no exaggerations. EVERY SINGLE TIME. It also sucks when the rain leaves behind this brown-gray crust of dried minerals that makes it look like I just drove through the Bonneville salt flats. I'll usually go to a good local semi-automated car wash more frequently, but the SEL gets a total Mr. Clean Auto Dry wash or a hand washing at least once every few months. I also do it a few times each winter on days with no snowfall to prevent road-salt buildup, which happened to my old GL and ate the left dogleg panel right off the car. Gotta keep that pristine metallic paint just the way it came from the factory!

·
Registered
90 Posts
QUOTE (Brian_05_SEL @ May 29 2009, 08:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728950
Silver Frost is a great color because it resists looking filthy pretty well, so when my car is dirty, the only real way to tell from more than ~10 feet away is if the windows are caked with dust or filth (especially the spot where the left wiper stops sweeping over and deposits whatever was covering the windshield).[/b]
:werd: bro. I love my silver frost taurus... it seems like I'm the only one who can tell it's dirty :p hehehe

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
QUOTE (meddude3n @ Jun 6 2009, 09:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=730665
QUOTE (Brian_05_SEL @ May 29 2009, 08:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728950
Silver Frost is a great color because it resists looking filthy pretty well, so when my car is dirty, the only real way to tell from more than ~10 feet away is if the windows are caked with dust or filth (especially the spot where the left wiper stops sweeping over and deposits whatever was covering the windshield).[/b]
:werd: bro. I love my silver frost taurus... it seems like I'm the only one who can tell it's dirty :p hehehe
[/b][/quote]
Haha yea. I can tell mine looks dirty but no one else can. I still need to remove the Florida bugs off my bumper cover (glue).

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here are some pics from when I went to North Carolina in January. The weather was horrible from IL to NC. Snow + salt in Indiana, parts of Kentucky had snow, then the Virginias, then NC had the rain which sort of washed some of the salt off. The car looked decent from far away, but you had to really look close at it to see the dirt.

Look closely under the left taillight above the rear bumper, where they meet, you'll somewhat see some dirt from all the driving.

Still has a reflection after much abuse, and not being washed since maybe October with a proper wash/wax.

The rear bumper at a close up.

The drive home was worse, because I got caught in a real bad storm. The expressways were all snowed up, I froze my car horn over, the front bumper was completely iced over, and it did look horrible for awhile until IL got some warmer weather. I didn't take pictures because after 20 hours of driving, once I got home safely, I took a nice deep breath and took a nap, thankful I didn't somehow die on the expressways during 6 AM rush hour traffic... Once the ice melted off my car, it looked similar to how it did in the pics I took when I got into NC. So the windveil blue isn't a bad color either :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts