Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I went to San Antonio to meet the guys from the Lone Star SHO Club for their fun run. Upon arriving I met Blue92 and a few others. Everyone was very nice. Don (Blue92) gave me a map and a radio. My girlfriend and I checked out some of the rides. Very nice examples of Gen 1 and 2 SHO's but no Gen 3's. I was the only Gen 3 with my SE.

To make a long story short... we caravaned along a highway in single file from San Antonio to Bandera. Once we passed through Bandera we made it to our first fun road. The road was curvy and we all were able to hit some pretty high speeds (105+ mph). I was 3rd to last with two supercharged SHO's breathing down my neck. I could look in rear view and see the cowl induction hood of the Silver Super SHO go from very small to on my ass in an instant. The whine from the supercharger was beautiful. Then we got behind some very slow classic cars (1940's era). They were out for a scenic drive, but not with the same intentions. After about 15 miles, the classics turned off and we were free once again. The second road was much more windy and hilly. Several times I watched the White SHO in front of me bottom out at speeds around 100mph. These guy are hauling ass! This was the first time I have put my car through its paces. The 3L Duratec was really hanging in there. I feel sorry for my tranny though! The suspension was really working well. It's not perfect, but for a miss-mash of aftermarket parts, it works pretty well. Eventually we made it to a T intersection and stopped for a rest. 60 miles had blown by in about 45 minutes. I had more fun than I expected. However, I could not continue with the rest of the gang. I was running on no sleep and pretty hungry.

The next trip is through Austin in April. If you have some balls, and a good insurance plan, I suggest you join in.

G

·
WOW LOOKS LIKE FUN! I wonder what they would thing of me showing up there with a SHO front on a Sable?? LOL

Supercharged ones out there? NICE!!! He he he.

Sal

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by beamout@Oct 18 2004, 09:54 AM
Well I guess it's ok that I didn't make it.  My poor little Vulcan would have been blown away.  You may have to bring the Contour SVT next time Spridget.
I agree. Lime Creek Rd. is CRAZY.... I've run the CSVT down it a couple times. And maybe by then my 3L swap will be complete.

Several cars had room for a passenger. I'm sure someone would let you ride along. There's always a need for a map reader/radio operator/navigator/camera man!

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by spridget+Oct 18 2004, 11:14 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (spridget @ Oct 18 2004, 11:14 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-beamout@Oct 18 2004, 09:54 AM
Well I guess it's ok that I didn't make it.  My poor little Vulcan would have been blown away.  You may have to bring the Contour SVT next time Spridget.
I agree. Lime Creek Rd. is CRAZY.... I've run the CSVT down it a couple times. And maybe by then my 3L swap will be complete.

Several cars had room for a passenger. I'm sure someone would let you ride along. There's always a need for a map reader/radio operator/navigator/camera man! [/b][/quote]
sold! lol. that would be the shizzznite! Let my car take a nap while everybody else fries something.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Originally posted by beamout@Oct 18 2004, 10:54 AM
Well I guess it's ok that I didn't make it. My poor little Vulcan would have been blown away.
I don't think you guys drivin Vulcans or Duratecs would have problem hangin with us, all you guys would need is to find a way to by pass the limiters, do some suspension upgrades, and run a 60 to 75 shot of NOS. The supercharged guys use a 50 shot as a poor mans intercooler, so the NOS would work as an intercooler for your engines as well as pick up the performance a bunch. You can find NOS kits on ebay for like 300 bucks all the time, or you can surf the ricer or the Mustang forums and find NOS kits for sale there too. Plus if you show up for the gtg and don't feel your car is ready for a run there is always some one that could use a radio man/navigator/camera person.

We always hand out maps and written directions of the runs, what you guys can do also is just meet with us get some maps, and cell numbers from us and take the route as a cruise instead as a run. Then just keep in touch by cell and hook up with us after our run, your cruise and then hang out for dinner and talk Taurus stuff and your experiences of the day.

:chili:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Originally posted by Taurussetypes@Oct 18 2004, 11:31 AM

sold!  lol.  that would be the shizzznite!  Let my car take a nap while everybody else fries something.
Only thing that got fried was some brake pads. If you guys do a brake upgrade like Luke did you'll be ahead of crowd and have a much safer car even for every day driving.

:chili:

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
yeah, I need to get a chip. I've got all the susp. mods with the exception of the GTP bars in the rear.
1.5" intrax w/kyb's, alum. sub frame bushings, front AND rear SHO sway bars, and a nice 17" wheel and tire pkg.

I'm also looking into using a gen 3 or 4 UIM w/ detachable TB, larger MAF
I've got a '96 sitting in my back yard w/rear disks on it I'll probably swap over too.
Just can't remember what is needed for the front conversion or what size rotors to use.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Originally posted by rudedog@Oct 18 2004, 12:30 PM
yeah, I need to get a chip. I've got all the susp. mods with the exception of the GTP bars in the rear.
1.5" intrax w/kyb's, alum. sub frame bushings, front AND rear SHO sway bars, and a nice 17" wheel and tire pkg.

I'm also looking into using a gen 3 or 4 UIM w/ detachable TB, larger MAF
I've got a '96 sitting in my back yard w/rear disks on it I'll probably swap over too.
Just can't remember what is needed for the front conversion or what size rotors to use.
The kybs won't last you very long. I wore out a brand new set on one run. The kybs ware out quickly if you run a performance spring set up for some odd reason. Most of the SHO guys in our club are using the Tokicos with Moog Cargo coils. The cargo coils have the same sring rates as the intrax and eibachs and are a hell of a lot cheaper and can be found at most local area spring shops. Do you have gen1 SHO front and rear sway bars? Those will be 24mm front and 26mm rear, the gen1s had the best sway bar set up of all the SHOs.

Rudy PM me there's one of the countries best SHO mechanics there in Houston. His shop is on Antoine north of 290. PM me and I'll give ya the phone number to his shop, he can tell you what ya need to finish your brake up grade.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah, that picture on the 5th page kinda sums it all up....

3rd gear, 5000rpm, 75mph, in a posted 45mph.... and still had time to take a picture :lol2:

That was the rule of the day!

BTW - The SuperCoupe had an awesome supercharger whine. The SuperSHO's sounded good too.... but the 3.8L won in the sound category. I didn't care for the TBird's rear wing... the whale tale only works on old Porsches IMO. The TBird was a beautiful metallic blue.

I noticed two of the Gen 2 SHO's had the Gen 1 rear vented disc brake conversion, and 3 or 4 of the cars were running Yokohama AVS ES100's (myself included). I believe I was the only one with GTP rear arms.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
After seeing Osirus (I believe that's his username, forgive me) run his car off Lime Creek Road, I don't think I could ever go down that road fast again. I wanted to buy that SHO so bad too. :( Lime Creek scares the living hell out of me...

At least from what I heard he and his wife are ok. :) The County needs to fix that dip on the side of the road big time!

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wrecked my motorcycle twice on Lime Creek Rd.... and got pulled over for racing (the "winner" went to jail, 2nd place had his bike impounded, I paid a $60 court fee). A few weeks later my roommate at the time wiped out on my motorcycle on the same corner I did!... he avoided serious injury (just a bad case of road rash) but the bike was totalled.

Lime Creek is a bad mamma jamma! If only it was a legal racing venue. :ph34r:

Racing is BAD kids!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Originally posted by Majisto@Jan 21 2005, 06:40 PM
After seeing Osirus (I believe that's his username, forgive me) run his car off Lime Creek Road, I don't think I could ever go down that road fast again. I wanted to buy that SHO so bad too. :( Lime Creek scares the living hell out of me...

At least from what I heard he and his wife are ok. :) The County needs to fix that dip on the side of the road big time!
That was Damien that lost his SHO on the spring run, and we were'nt on Lime Creek we were on Bullick Hollow Rd. Me and a couple other lsshoc members are coming down in March to find a new starting point for the spring run. We are going to try cutting out Bullick Hollow Rd. and the Oasis. The fire department that came out that day said last year (the year prior to Damiens mishap) they had 47 car wrecks on that road. We will be looking at what is at the intersection of 620 and 2769. If there is a big enough parking lot close to that intersection that will be our new starting point.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Nevermind...it is Bullick Hollow. I know Lime Creek now. That's a windy road too. Goes through Volente. Saw a nasty wreck on that road too. *shrugs*

Pretty area though. I would suggest meeting up at 2222 and Courtyard Drive. There is a big group of office complexes that would be good to meet up. Going up the big hill on 2222 would be a fun race as well.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
2222 is a fun road. I raced a NSX in my Prelude (he couldn't believe I was keeping up!), a BMW Z3 M Roadster in my Prelude (he smoked me!), a modified WRX on my sportbike (that car had ZERO bodyroll! And I smoked him).... plus many others.

The cops watch that road more now than they used to. And there is so much traffic its just not worth the risk.... but still one of my all time favorite roads!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts