Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed to replace my locking fuel cap for my '96 Sable DOHC (vin S).

First of all, when you look that up in the web, some sites list the cap as a "Gas" cap, and other sites label the cap as "Fuel" cap.

The CORRECT locking fuel cap for my '96 Sable, made by CST, Inc. is:

Part 5502
UPC 7-99304-05502-0 :D

-------------------------------------

A similar cap was sold to me by O'Reilly, also made by CST, Inc. It had a similar but not exact Part # of 55020.
Part # 55020 is NOT a match for the '96 Sable (vin S). I believe the incorrect cap's UPC was 7-99304-55020-0. :(

The price for the correct cap at AutoZone was the same ($16.99 + tax).

So, Fuel/Gas Cap buyers, if you buy a cap that gives you real pains when twisting into place, you probably do not have the exact right cap for your vehicle !

·
Registered
109 Posts
May not totally be relative, but DON'T please buy the cap from Autozone. I had mine for 6 months and now it's busted. The cylinder lock is so flimsy and twists itself into oblivion to where it doesn't lock anymore (or worse) doesn't unlock so the cap is stuck on.

Go with Ford or someone who makes a sturdier one.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Buying a locking cap is a waste of money. The check ball in the fill tube will prevent the use of an Okie credit card (siphoning). Besides in my experience, after a while the "check fuel cap" light will come on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have used locking gas caps for over 20 years in different vehicles. Yes, the caps eventually wear out, but the last cap I replaced I had had for over 5 years. The reason it broke was that I went to new gas station, that had their pumps elevated a little higher than I was used to. I like to place the cap on top of the pump while I'm refueling. Anyway, it was pretty cold that afternoon, and in trying to place the cap on top of the pump, the cap slipped out of my hand and fell to the cement below, and it was damaged to require a new gas cap.

As long you get the right model, if you're going to buy a fuel cap, then it doesn't matter where you purchase it, as it's the same company, CST that supplies the stores...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts