Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went home from work for lunch today. After I was done, I got in my car...started it up....released the parking brake....put it in reverse...and it wouldn't go...

I pulled the wheel off, checked the line for the parking brake....the lines to both rear wheels were loose. I put the parking brake on -- and they tightened up. Banged around a bit with the hammer, to see if i could loosen anything up -- nothing really happened.

My wheel won't turn!! What are my next steps? I don't think cutting the cable will help, because it appears to be functioning normally. Does anyone have any suggestions at all to getting the bull back on the road?

Thanks!!!

-dave

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
The rear pistons can lock up. I have replaced both rear pistons. Did you pull the drum off and see if the shoes had separated? Also, the hub should turn with the drum off.

BTW, love the screen name. Christian Hardcore rules!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm game for trying. What's the best way to get the drums off -- especially with the wheel locked. Any suggestions?

and yes -- they are a great band. I've liked them since, i think, it was their first tour with MxPx -- like 10 years ago.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Jack up the tire, and pull off the wheel. With the wheel off, the drum *should* pull right off the hub with the parking brake off. A rubber mallet will help if the drum is siezed on.

And thanks for capitalizing MxPx right. You have no idea how many times people do it wrong. Irritating.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The drum was locked on really good. I got it off, pulled everything apart, put new shoes on -- put everything back together.....and now the wheel turns. I don't know what happened. If anyone's got any clue as to why my wheel would have locked up like that, i'd love to hear your input.

Yeah -- nobody get's it...Magnified Plaid -- all the way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts