Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my starter went you and I was tryin to locate it but I couldn't find it. Can someone help me. What does it look like and where is it located? Thank you.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
What model/year and engine are you asking about?

·
Premium Member
821 Posts

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
I have an Essex and mine is: look under front of car, past radiatior and theres a piece of steel running from one end of car to the other it will b obove the piece of steel preety much under the block. Have fun replacing it, I know I did.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you very much. Is it hard to replace them? And how long do they usually last? I don't think it's ever been changed before.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
I've never replaced it on a Duratec or a Vulcan before but on all the other cars i've worked on it was as easy as two bolts and one electrical connection. The main problem i've had when replacing a starter is any clearance issue when trying to remove or install the new one. And as i mentioned before since i haven't done it on these engines i'm not sure if that will be an issue for you or not. As long as you get a good quality one it should last quite a while.

Usually i've never had to change the starter more then once per vehicle (if even that) and i had a few vehicles that lived to 130-160K before. Only once did i have to replace a starter on a car twice and that was because i tried to go with the "discount" one the first time and it crapped out after a few months.

Most part stores will have ones that have a lifetime guarantee, i'd suggest that one from past experience.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Getting ur hands in there is a major pain and just its such a stupid design. So unscrewings those bolts are a major pain in the a** cus u cant get ur hands in there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts