Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bull overheated bad today while waiting in the drive thru at portilllos. Temp gauge hasn't been working for a while so it didn't give me the warning or alarms ( I know I shouldn't of neglected it)
Removed res cap to vent and coolant almost spewed all over the place,let it cool down for 30 or 40 minutes then limped it home,didn't feel like it was still too hot but have no way of telling other than feel. Turned the car to the on position without starting it and info display said "low oil pressure" and check engine light came on but when I fully started it again after lengthy cool down period it didn't display either again and no code thrown according to my Bluetooth OBDII Android car scanner
Thing is I had just gotten back from a lenghthy drive from Illinois to Wisconsin to reset readiness monitors and it it didn't do anything then entire trip ran smoothe and good for an hour and 45 one way and back again but 15 min idling in burger joint drive through and I see steam Poppin out from under the hood! But when limping it home and keeping it at 30 to 35mph,no steam.

Anyone ran into something like this? I just replaced all three O2 sensors the day before yesterday to help with my emissions rejection problem,but can't really see how that could make it boil over,but I am no expert by any stretch the imagination.

If anyone has a pic or diagram of where the coolant temp sensor is located specifically on the 2004 Taurus SES DOHC 24V I'd really appreciate it.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
I would start with the rad cap. See pic. OE cap high rate of fail. I had 2 of my 4 fail. Lin Cont (same cap) blew coolant out all over the engine bay, no overheat. Sudden. Limped home. Borrowed a car next day for a day trip for medical, leaving my Lin at home). Pic of used car leaking cap. All my herd gets new caps, revised design.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After reading this forum I tried starting and it fired right up.
Turned AC all the way full and the fans didn't work then I threw the heat on all the way full and the defrost, still fans didn't do diddly!! Also in the previous weeks I noticed a clicking sound coming from the right hand side when it was idling it would click and then stop and then click again and then stop, so I'm assuming that's the relay either high speed or low speed for the fans, today no clicking whatsoever. Does this sound like cooling fan circuit failure?

Thanks to all for your replies,much appreciated!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts