Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looks like I'm in need of a new battery(as well as a bunch of other things, on top of what I have replaced already in this car it's REALLY wearing on my nerves)..............:closedeyes:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/cRi_akjW6XQ

This is the 2nd time it's died on me in my driveway. I know the battery was getting weak but I didnt think it was THAT bad......

·
I Drive A Fuze
3,053 Posts
what are you planning on replacing it with?

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
At 11.9 volts, that battery was already pretty much dead before you started. Have you tried charging it fully?

If the battery keeps dying, you need to do a parasitic draw test. Take a battery cable off and put your meter in series to measure 10A current (move the red test lead to the other port). You want less than 0.050 amps or 50 mA. Start pulling fuses until it goes away.

·
Registered
9,617 Posts
At 11.9 volts, that battery was already pretty much dead before you started. Have you tried charging it fully?

If the battery keeps dying, you need to do a parasitic draw test. Take a battery cable off and put your meter in series to measure 10A current (move the red test lead to the other port). You want less than 0.050 amps or 50 mA. Start pulling fuses until it goes away.
Agree.

Short battery life is due to over charge, under charge, or parasitic drain.

Over/under charging is easy to read with a volt meter.

Parasitic drain just pulls the bat down, charge up, pull it down repeat. Does not make for a happy bat. Over charging is not common but does happen. Under charging will overwork the bat.

-chart-

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
chartmaker
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing