Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A month or two ago on a junkyard run with Dave I picked up a set of GM four note horns. The ZX2 came with a really lame one-note roadrunner "beep-beep" horn, so out with the old and in the the loud!

Installing them went really smoothly - I made spacers to hold the pairs of horns away from the sheetmetal on both sides, and used the stock horn's mounting point with a longer bolt. The other side of the front end conveniently had a matching hole, so the other two on the driver's side are bolted there. I used the original GM harness that I pulled with the horns, and made a harness that stretches across to the driver's side to power those two horns, and plugs into the stock ZX2 horn connector on the passenger's side.

It now sounds like a freight train :grin2:

Here's a quick sound clip:

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I can't imagine the looks you'll get blaring that horn...all from a ZX2 :lol2:

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Hahahaha, I did the SAME exact thing with my 95 Contour before I Sold her!!

Only my Horns were from a Roadmaster. All four horns... :chili:

I wish I woulda taken those Horns before I sold her... But oh well, Taurus Horn isn't bad :)

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm getting some for the Taurus too :ph34r:

I think the Taurus horn might end up on the Fiero...that horn is even more pathetic than the stock ZX2 horn.

I do get great looks when I beep it :grin2:

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just for good measure, I took some pictures since I didn't have any current pics of the ZX2 and I don't think I've posted any in a couple years. :) I love Twilight Blue Metallic...you really have to see it, clean, in the sun. :coolgleam:

The horn brings to total for ZX2 mods to....
-Mesh grille
-Blue brake calipers
-K&N air filter
-One size wider tires - they actually made the speedometer more accurate!
-Silverstar turn signals (anyone see these for sale locally recently? I need a new one and can't find them in stores anymore)
-Horns!

I think the horns are the winner though...I am really happy with them. I beep it just to hear it now :lol:

It's a great gas saver/runabout car and it's fantastically reliable so far - had it for 4.5 years and it's got 46k on it now.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They're definitely all working...it's deeper in person, but I don't think the newer ones sound quite as bassy as the old '70s Caddy horns. Part of it's probably the microscopic mic in the digital camera too.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
They're definitely all working...it's deeper in person, but I don't think the newer ones sound quite as bassy as the old '70s Caddy horns. Part of it's probably the microscopic mic in the digital camera too.
[/b]
I have 70's Caddy horns in my 01, and almost brand new park avenue horns in the 03. The 03's sound just like Jim's park avenue horns. I wonder if it is buick's 4 note horns or just maybe because they are newer?

·
Registered
712 Posts
I gotta do this mod on the vibe. That car horn has a 'meep meep' sound to it. Honestly don't know whether to laugh or cry when I hit it.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I gotta do this mod on the vibe. That car horn has a 'meep meep' sound to it. Honestly don't know whether to laugh or cry when I hit it.
[/b]
:lol2: That is pretty bad.

I am going to go find some horns next time I'm at the junkyard for my Taurus...they won't sound like Dave's car, but good enough. Seriously, if you lay on the horn in Dave's car you wake Jesus up.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
I almost bought a ZX2 when I was looking for a Taurus replacement. It was a 2003 Premium with the one year front end. I liked it well enough, but I was much more at home in my Ranger.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts