Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 04 Duratec has had small oil leaks on and off for the last few years. Oil hitting the ground has typically stopped or slowed when I've used thicker oil and sometimes it's stopped after an oil change.

Ideally I would have switched to high mileage oil but I have a small stock of 5w20 that I want to go through first. After an oil change and 250 miles on 5w20 (mixed with a quart of Euro 5w40), there was no improvement to what had recently become almost daily drips. Not wanting to deal with cleaning up oil on the driveway and garage floor for the next two years I decided to try a stop leak.

I did some research and decided to add Liqui Moly Motor Oil Saver. There are other well rated stop leak options but I decided on this product because of stricter testing requirements in Germany and the fact that they said the seal swelling is very minor. Since we can't control which seals are swelled, it makes sense to not over swell seals that don't need it.

Liqui Moly say it will take 500 miles for it to work. Well, just 30 miles after pouring it in, I no longer have oil dropping onto the garage floor. In fact, the leaks onto the floor pretty much stopped straight away. I followed the instructions to add and then run the car until it warms up (presumably without driving). There is no information on why they want this procedure followed, but I did what they directed. It may be that idling to warm is the best way to incorporate their product into the oil.

The car sees very short trips and also some short city trips that do get the car fully warmed up. Prior to adding the Liqui Moly, I was getting oil on the ground after both fully warmed up and partly warmed up trips. Now, there is no oil on the ground after any trip. I still see a film of oil clinging to the bottom of the oil pan and I did smell some oil burning after a fully warmed up trip but hopefully this is from residual oil and will die down.

Liqui Moly say that the additive should work for 20,000 miles / 2 years. I will try to remember to update this thread with the ongoing results.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
After starting this thread, I was wondering why the drips stopped immediately rather than by 500 or so miles as indicated by Liqui Moly and testimonials.

I researched and found that Motor Oil Saver is actually quite thick. Thick enough that 12oz added to the average sump will bump up viscosity by a grade. I calculate that my fill went from a thickness that was a borderline 5w20 / 5w30 to an above average thickness xw30.

I think this is the reason for the immediate cessation of oil hitting the ground. The previous occasion when I saw an immediate stop in drips was when I added a quart of 0w40 to a fill of 0w30 which took the thickness to a similar viscosity.

For anyone with leaks and looking to buy oil, I would recommend a high mileage 5w30 or 10w30 with a viscosity at 100c of near 11cst or above. Most xw30's have a viscosity at 100c nearer 10cst and this has been too thin to stop leaks in my experience. The oil will also thin during use and my drips have gotten worse towards the end of an oils life.

The high mileage 5w30 & 10w30 oils that are much thicker than average are all the Mobil 1 high mileage variants 5w30 and 10w30 (not Mobil Super) and Pennzoil High Mileage 10w30 (synthetic blend). They actually have a viscosity at 100c near 12cst.

A couple of high mileage oils near 11cst at 100c are Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic 10w30 and Valvoline High Mileage (synthetic blend) 5w30 and 10w30.

For reference, my minor leaks have stopped when my oil mix was calculated as being just under 11cst at 100c.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Interesting info as my '04 'Tec with 256K miles also leaks oil...and, it's gotten to the point where it's dripping on either the hot engine or exhaust causing a nasty smell inside the cabin via the vents. Used to only happen occasionally in the winter months. Now, it's happening more frequently and at any time of the year; albeit, less so in the summer months. Car has served me well...but, is rusting out and it's only a matter of time before I surrender it to the JY. Really hoping I can get thru one more winter with it, though. I've always run 5W20 as recommended...but, am wondering if switching to high mileage 5W30 will help. My concern is living in a cold climate where winter temps can drop to -15 F and colder. On the other hand, recommended viscosity for my '98 Explorer is 5W30.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
5w20, 5w30, 5w40 are all fine for -15f.

Do your oil change before winter for optimal results.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks for providing these tips. I'm open to any ideas for slowing my drips. Things aren't bad yet, but I'm adding a quart about every 3000 miles. Currently using Mobil 1 High mileage 5w30 plus a half quart of STP high mileage oil additive which pours like honey going in.

Question: are you likely to loose more oil when driving faster? For me, town driving (lots of starts and stops, but less cumulative miles over time) doesn't seem to have much impact. But last month when I drove a 1000+ mile trip on the interstate going over 70 much of it, that's when I noticed the level had gone down. Nonetheless I was really proud of my 2000 bull making that trip (217K on the ticker) flawlessly.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for providing these tips. I'm open to any ideas for slowing my drips. Things aren't bad yet, but I'm adding a quart about every 3000 miles. Currently using Mobil 1 High mileage 5w30 plus a half quart of STP high mileage oil additive which pours like honey going in.

Question: are you likely to loose more oil when driving faster? For me, town driving (lots of starts and stops, but less cumulative miles over time) doesn't seem to have much impact. But last month when I drove a 1000+ mile trip on the interstate going over 70 much of it, that's when I noticed the level had gone down. Nonetheless I was really proud of my 2000 bull making that trip (217K on the ticker) flawlessly.
LIke you, I have lost oil after extended high speed driving but not so much after just in town driving. It is not necessarily because of leaks as many people report the same in non leaking vehicles. I would though expect that as rpms increase, oil temperature will inch up and the oil will get thinner and more could leak out especially over several hours.

Your M1 + STP combo is much thicker than mine so if you're still getting leaks it's probably related to having seals being more worn than mine (you have double my mileage). You could try M1 High Mileage 10w40 which may save you the bother of buying STP. The M1 has it's own seal conditioners so who knows if those clash with the ones in STP. If you still get leaks, then you'll soon have half a quart of space to add STP again.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Another update. My Taurus got a chance to get totally warmed up over several hours with a mixture of highway driving, city stop start, hills, all with passengers. This was more demanding than all usage since adding the Motor Oil Saver. Shortly after getting home, I noticed a small amount of oil had hit the garage floor. The amount was much less than before without the additive.

Rather than being disappointed, this confirms my hypothesis that the initial cessation was to do with the oil being thickened. On this occasion, the oil got a little bit hotter and thin enough to leak. As per Liqui Moly, the seal swelling effect takes a few hundred miles so I still have to wait to see if that works in my case.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
An update:

As mentioned before, after an initial improvement, (probably thanks to the Liqui Moly thickening the oil), the drips reappeared.

Liqui Moly's instructions are to wait 500 miles for it to work. I waited about 700 miles but there were still drips.

So I drained some oil and added a 15oz bottle of the blue STP to thicken the oil. This stopped the drips almost straight away.

I calculate that my oil is now a thin xw40. Performance has not been significantly affected.

Note, I only went the route of Liqui Moly and then STP because I had already used a non high mileage 5w20. It's better and cheaper to just buy the right oil in the first place. So my plan for the next oil change is to use an already thick oil and no additives. I'll either go with M1 10w30 High Mileage which is a thick xw30 that also conditions seals or use some Euro 5w40 that I already have.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another update:

After a few weeks of no drips with STP, the oil started to drip again.

I've changed to Euro 5w40 oil. Let's see what happens.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have experienced very good results with Lucas Engine Oil Stop Leak. From 3-4" diameter spots on the garage floor to about an inch or less.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts