Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know if it's possible to put some VVT heads from a Lincoln LS (03 and up) on to a Gen 3 Duratec. I know the VVT is controlled by a computer, but you could probably find a way to lock the cam actuator in place, or even put a standard sprocket on instead. Granted, you'd have to make a choice, low-end torque, or high end horsepower, or some compromise between the two. But the heads must flow a LOT better if they're putting out 230 hp stock. I'm assuming all you would really need is the heads, cams, intake manifold(s), and probably a fuel rail, correct. I also understand they have a compression ratio of 10.5:1, but our tauri only have 10:1, correct? I'm guessing if you retarded the cam all the way(max. HP, poor torque), port and polished the heads, and put a nice high flow y-pipe on the exhaust, you could see an honest 250 HP. My only concern is how the ports, line up, from the LS heads to our blocks. Anybody have any information regarding this?

Thanks

·
Registered
663 Posts
I think 250HP assuming you can get the Lincoln heads' VVT to work. I think it would be less expensive and painful just to port and polish the Taurus' Duratec heads and install the exhaust setup... should be about ~220HP? You can also try finding a set of non-VVT Lincoln LS heads (pre-2003 I think) to avoid the VVT trouble and concentrate on fitment.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
You'd spend $3k for MAYBE 50hp and no guarantee that it would even work? Just mod the current heads and get some nitrous. JMO ;)

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The VVT isn't necessary to crank out the 230 HP. It's actually not as complicated as some people may think it is. The cam is fully advanced at idle, and progressively retards as RPM and load increase. If you lock the cam in the fully advanced position, you'll see the best low end torque performance. If you lock the cam in the fully retarded position you'll get the best high end horspower. I'm sure I'll need a custom chip for this setup, especially if I retard the cam, max. HP will occur around 6800 RPM. Any modifications needed to be done to the heads, can be done by myself, I work in a machine shop, this I know could save me hundreds of dollars in labor. Maybe I'll even mill off a little extra stock off the heads, to get the compression ratio up to 11:1

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I say go for it. Find a LS in a junkyard and pull everything. You might need to custom fab the lower portion of the intake manifold though, as I'm not sure whether or not the LS engine has secondaries. IIRC, the Gen IV 'tecs don't have secondaries, so I would assume that since the LS engine is based off the same design, it wouldn't have secondaries either.

I'd really like to see someone really assess the feasibility of this project, as I'd like to do it after I graduate, and don't have all the necessary information at this time to determine it's feasibility.

JR

·
Registered
663 Posts
Good luck finding a LS in a junkyard.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
IF you took stock out of the LS Heads' combustion chamber, you would LOWER the compression ratio, not increase it.

Talk to brad (Baby SHO) about the SVT 2.5L Duratech heads from the contour. He's put them on a G3 Duratech successfully. It seems to me that it might be a more feesible job.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I think he was talking about planing down the bottom part of the heads, which would decrease the volume of the combustion chamber, thus increasing the compression ratio.

JR

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was considering just using the fuel rail from the LS, and dumping the secondaries altogether. I think the lower intake from our taurus would be too restrictive for the large oval ports in the VVT heads.

Godspunk, you got the right idea about planing off the bottom of the heads, I just have to do some research as to what the ideal compression ratio would be.

Anybody know how well the Gen 3 heads fit on the Gen 4 block. I know somebody did this to increase the compression ratio. I would imagine the Gen 4 heads would at least have the coolant and oil ports in the same location as the LS heads. I'm hoping they're the same for the Gen 3 block.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
If you want cams, get SVT cams. (Longer Duration)

If you want heads, get SVT heads. (Higher Compression, 11.2:1)

These Should net more power. As i remember, the contour guys agreeded that the lincoln heads are not doable and its because of minor changes in the block.

Brad

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My only concern with the 2.5 heads are the much smaller valves. I wonder if you could put the 3L valves on, and open up the 2.5 heads.

I looked on Contour.org. A majority of the people say it's not worth the hassle for the Lincoln LS heads. Maybe only marginally better performance over the 2.5, and much more work.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
yes. l3 valve are doable....i had them put into my svt heads on the exhaust side only. The intake side is not worth it. On a dyno program under perfect conditions, you gain a hp in the top end and loose one in the low end. (waste of $$$)

Brad

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What Dyno program do you use, I'm very interested.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also, do you know if it's necessary to replace the valve seats in order the put the 3L valves on, I would imagine so. Are there any other modifications required to head that are needed?

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
yes, 3.0l valve seats need to be used (you could enlarge the old ones, but its cheaper and better to have new ones installed. 4mm is big!

I did not run the dyno, someone much more informend than me ran it.

Brad

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Jul 15 2004, 12:19 PM
I think he was talking about planing down the bottom part of the heads, which would decrease the volume of the combustion chamber, thus increasing the compression ratio.

JR
I plan to do the same thing, shave the heads a little to bump the compression...unless there are thinner (Vulcan) head gaskets available to do the same thing (decrease combustion chamber size).

·
Registered
36 Posts
yo since tho it might not be as easy 2 find a junked LS, couldnt you use a similar year jag s-type?...... or are they too different of cars?

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
I really wouldn't worry about using the LS heads... They can't be THAT much better than the original heads. A little VVT and a little compression can go a ways..

And.. I'm sure it'd be just as hard to find a Jag S-Type in the yard as an LS. Listen to Brad's advice.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts