Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last few junkyard visits, I noticed the Continental has the JBL RCU that looks exactly like ours, except... It is missing the mounting bracket, as it mounts into some plastic thing that hangs above the trunk.

Though, these JBL's are not packaged with subs, I've encountered at least 5 Contis that has no sub, but the harness and everything is there.

My question is, do these have a richer low end with the other speakers? and Subwoofer capabilities with the optional sub (If it was an option, or perhaps my luck is all subs have been harvested?)

Would the RCU work in the Taurus too? Has anyone tried? If not, I may pick me up a Conti JBL RCU, and if it doesn't work, perhaps I can take it back and swap it with a Mach RCU from a junkyard :p

I noticed them in 96/97 Continentals too.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, it looks exactly like my JBL from a 96 Taurus, and when I plugged the JBL RCU into a Taurus, they plugged in, but being from junkyards, none of them had a battery. I should bring a jumper pack to see if I could confirm if it works. I should pull up a wiring diagram between the two JBL systems.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
According to the wiring diagram, they seem the same (or similar, though the wordings are changed around, and the numbers are out of order, that's due to the program, not the RCU, I have yet to see a connector be out of order, normally it's 1 2 3...7 8 (and continues on the next row)

Only difference I am seeing here, the Continental has 2 Subs, and a separate amp for the subs... Maybe a solution to easily do sound upgrades... I think I may be on to something here :D

Here are screenshots of the two RCU wiring diagrams, now some pins are not used (Example, the Antenna) however, the pin exists, so I wonder if it would function when plugged into a Taurus.

I do remember, under the package tray where the JBL RCU is hidden on the Conti, there are 3 modules, 1 JBL RCU, and 2 boxes, I guess 1 is an amp, and the subs are probably under the package tray, I'll include a zoomed in screenshot of the sub module too for the Lincoln.

The Taurus JBL System.

The Lincoln Continental JBL System.

Sub module

Seems like a JBL mod might be more doable with this for other Taurus owners. I'll have to double check the Lincoln Continental now that I know the Conti has 2 subs, rather than the single sub like the 96 Taurus. I think the Lincoln has door speakers in the rear, so the two holes could be used for subs in the trunk lid rather than 2 speakers. I got work for next Sunday at the junkyard now :D

(Wiring diagrams used for educational purposes)

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
What kind of subs did the Continental have? More 6x9 free air like the Taurus JBL?

If the RCU itself is the same, I'm not really interested....but if it's different, it could be cool :)

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,082 Posts
I'm going to bump this, just to see if anyone has ever tried this out. I too have seen them on eBay and noticed they're nearly identical.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use the JBL rcu tuner from a Lincoln in my 1998 Taurus, they don't look the same the Lincoln JBl part its bigger and comes with a heat-sink on top
but the plugs are the same and it works just fine no problems

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
The 1995-1998 Continental JBL RCU is the same as the '96 Taurus JBL RCU, just without the bracket. The speaker/sub-woofer setup is different though. It has a dual 6"x8" sub setup in the rear deck with a much bigger, separate amp for them (I believe it is the same sub amp as the Explorer). The rear speakers in the Continental are in the doors. The Alpine system from '99-'02 is similar, but requires the Alpine head unit to function.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.