Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This car is my daily driver (but I love to monkey with stuff)...so I don't want any obnoxious noise...in fact I really don't want any noise...having said that what is the most quite high flow muffler available...if anybody knows...thanks

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I'd recommend a Summit Turbo. I've got one. I also have a sound clip, but it's hooked up to the Essex. It sounds slightly louder than stock, but it's not annoying loud. IMO, I don't like the sound. Others do. But for $15, it's not bad.

·
Registered
90 Posts
you can get a cherrybomb turbo or turbo2 they're pretty much made to replace stock ones anyways, eventhough they are about less than 1/2 the size the stock one and weigh 1/8 of the stock. I have one on my 3.8 put the pipe is cut right past the, umm, bar thing goin to the back left wheel then I have the turbo2 bolted onto that, its pretty noisy, in a good way, but if you have your complete length all the way to the back it shouldnt be too bad....but still give it a growl...

·
Registered
186 Posts
The problem with your request is that everybody has a different interpretation of what "quiet", "good", and "bad" are.

You're told to search, yet in most of the threads I've read, the idea is to make the car louder than stock, not as quiet as stock.

And while *describing* the sound is not easy for most, most don't even try, so you're still in the dark.

I think your best bet is to just shop a few muffler shops and ask the price and then ask them a lot of questions. Sure there in the business to sell stuff, but I've found that most of the indies are pretty fair, and if two or four shops give you similar answers, then you're probably onto something.

When I put low-restriction mufflers on my Z/28, a local guy suggested Walker Turbo Mufflers. They were pretty quite, I got a couple more MPG, and under hard acceleration they had a bit of a growl, but not much. My unsilenced air cleaner made more noise.

And personally, if a car alleges high performace with it's exhaust, I think it ought to back it up. No sense in a car posing. That's totally rice. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) You may as well hang your head out the window and go "Vroom, Vrooooom!"

Any car can go fast, eventually. It's the 0-Fast that counts. And a quiet car will at least give a better *impression* of performace.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Get the Walker OEM replacement - it will sound just like your current car when it was new (ie quiet). You should be able to find it readily as that is listed as the dirent replacement for the stock muffler.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts