Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK..noticed my DRLs werent working for awhile and now my lights dont work at all. I have headlights but NO other lights. I have replaced the switch on the dash..nothing. I have checked fuses and dont see anything wrong, is their any relays or switches that MIGHT be the problem? I DONT want to have to take it to Ford as it will be crazy $$ there!! Anyone have any thoughts or seen the same problem? Seems the headlights working is a safety feature..lots of imports have this so you dont lose headlights lat night when whatever went wrong..went wrong. Thanks in advance!!

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
IIRC, there's fuses under the hood in addition to the fuse panel under the dash. Have you checked both locations?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checked all the fuses..and I mean ALL..under the dash and under the hood. I see 4 relays under the dash..not sure if those are anything. I am really wracking my brain..I do NOT want to go to Ford to test it as it will be crazy expensive, and want to use that as a last resort. I figgure the headlights turning on is a safety feature (the Mrs's said the brakelights come on as well..its her car..mine is the SHO and Thunderbird) so the headlights turn on as do the brakelights..but no dash/running/turn. Really REALLY weird!!

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I would think it's a relay because the dash/panel lights and parking lights are on the same relay which is separate from the headlights. I had a problem with this before, but it turned out that I didn't plug the dash headlight switch harness in tight enough. Do the hazard lights work?

·
Registered
135 Posts
may be related to the DRL module, when mine went it started blinking
or kinda pulsating, ijust pulled the 15 amp fuse and all my problems stopped.
yoou may have a dash cluster problem. were your lites blinking before this?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, lights werent blinking before..they worked then one night they didnt..was weird. I will go check to see if the hazards are working. We replaced the switch you turn the lights on with, that didnt help.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK..went and checked. Have headlights, brake lights, and flashers..NO guage lights/running lights/turn lights. Put the turn signal stalk in position and nothing..not even the clicking from the flashers. I checked the fuses again and nothing was wrong. On a side note I have a relay pack mounted beside the battery tray but the Hayes manual shows NOTHING. It has 4 "half" relays and 1 full size relay with a space for 2 more "half" relays that arent there. I searched the manual and they dont show anything..its weird! HELP!!!!!

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The dash lighting starts at the head light switch. The rest of the stuff comes out of the MFS and it is a problem part from way back.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK..so what should I be checking. Like I said the headlights come on..but we figgured it was a safety feature like import cars have, maybe its just something that controlls the running lights/signals. On a weird note, I just started thinking, and the interior lights never came on when I opened the door to check the switches, so the list of not working is: interior lights, running/signal lights, and dash lights. Again headlights turn on, brake lights light up when petal is pressed, and hazard lights work. Also anyone know what the relay pack that was attached to my battery tray is?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes the high beams work and lock on as well as flash when you flash them..so it just seems everything but the dash/tail/signal/running lights work..almost done replacing the heads..need some ideas fast!!

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Well, we can rule out the MFS unless the wipers/washer aren't working. I am thinking it might be the parking light relay, but I have no clue where that is. Turn signals not working is weird. You sure you're checking that with the ignition in the "Run" position?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK..checked it again (woman was in the car last time..didnt turn the key on) turn signals work, wipers work, flashers work, brake lights work, low/highs work, just no running (parking) lights, dash lights, or DRL. I replaced my switch with one we picked up from the salvage yard, didnt help. This is startin to really whoop my ass!! HELP!! :notworthy:

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Are you sure you plugged the harness into the headlight switch tight? When I put my dash together after putting the 140 MPH speedo in, I forgot to plug the harness in tight and that caused the same problems you're having. There's also a chance the switch might be bad since you said you got it from the junkyard. But if it's not any of the above, then I would definitly say it's the parking light relay.

The DRLs are on a seperate circuit that pulses the high beams. I would say for that, it's the DRL module that has gone bad.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
plugs are pushed in good and locked in..I dont think its the switch is bad..whats the chance of 2 switches having the exact same problem?? Where is the parking light relay located at..I asked before but no on knew.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I don't know where it is. I wish the "veterans" would take a look at this thread already. Maybe Baby_SHO knows where it is.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BTW..I find NO reference of a "parking light relay" online or in my manual..so I am thinking it doesnt exsist. I checked the brown wire output..which is the parking light wire it seems..and there is no juice going out of it when the switch is on..so assuming they all get the same power source (as in the switch all gets its power from 1 wire into it) then it would seem both my switches I have are bad..wish I knew someone with a good one to test it..aarrgghh!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
upon some further testing it appears my luck shows its baddness again..seems both switches are bad. I checked the brown wire comming out the switch and it had no juice when in the "switched" position..so made a jumper from the dark blue wire to the brown..sure enough the lights came on..so I assume the switch is bad. I m going to order one from AutoZone for $60 so I KNOW its good..damn my luck every time!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts