Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Ford Taurus SEL with some kind of electrical problem.

When the drivers door is open more than half way and the car is running, the interior lights flicker very fast. Also the alphanumaric information panel behind the steering wheel (where the milage is, etc). flickers between "Door Ajar" and what it would display if the door was close.

Also, the door lock button does not work when the door is open.

Note that while the door needs to be open more than half way for the lights to flicker, the door lock button will not work even if the door is only slightly open.

Even more, the symptoms stop when a second car door is opened.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I was thinking maybe a bad door switch. Where is this switch located? Is it mechanically operated (the door pushes the button it when you close the door?)

Thank's everyone.

·
Registered
10,102 Posts

When the drivers door is open more than half way and the car is running, the interior lights flicker very fast. Also the alphanumaric information panel behind the steering wheel (where the milage is, etc). flickers between "Door Ajar" and what it would display if the door was close.

Note that while the door needs to be open more than half way for the lights to flicker, the door lock button will not work even if the door is only slightly open.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I was thinking maybe a bad door switch. Where is this switch located? Is it mechanically operated (the door pushes the button it when you close the door?)

Thank's everyone.
Last 3 Bulls, had to do what is in the pic.
Driver's door accordion. Remove the zip tie and peal back the accordion and inspect the wires. In the pic, I whittled out a wood peg to hold the accordion back for fixing the broken wires. Remove the bolt in the connector and pull it out of the door part for access. When done, use a zip tie to attach the accordion.

-chart-

-

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
Chart's right. That's how you fix it. I had to do that to fix a door ajar wire.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,102 Posts
Chart's right. That's how you fix it. I had to do that to fix a door ajar wire.

Three for three of mine: real pain. Next time I will take the door off the car. :angry:Also, wires too short and I had to add some more and do two joints, solder and shrink tube.

-chart-

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
I know what you mean about shortening the wires. Even the leftover wires from my keypad mod were not long enough and had to use two joints.
Taking of the door is a good idea. Taurus doors are heavy though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK. I will check this out and will report back.

There are a lot of wires going through there though, at least according to the picture. If I don't see an obvious defect with a wire, such as one that is bent or kinked, or caught on something and being tugged, doesn't anyone know which of these several wires it is. I will also try and jiggle them and move them.

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
Look for nicked wires. They go green with failure

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They go green with failure
What do you mean by that?

I just took the cover off and got access to the wires. There are no signs of any kinked or broken wires. Since I had the door open, everything was flickering. While it was hard to do it to each individual wire, I tried to move the wires around, thinking maybe a broken connection would be joined and it would stop. Nope. Nothing.

Note that I only took the accordian cover off and held it back as far as I could. Obviously the wires start and end much farther.

I'm at a loss.

Doesn't anyone know which of the several wires this could be? Where would it start and where would it end?

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
I wish I could find the pictures in took when I did mine. You can kind of see it in picture that @chart posted. You might have to de-pin the connector and fan out the wires. If you have a nicked wire it will start to corrode and turn green like the statue off liberty. There are about 36 wires in there. Anyone of them could get a nick or a gash. They usually get damaged in the same spot, but the damage could be anywhere in the boot. Just moving wires around and looking isn't enough. Take it apart. Takes pictures and write down the wire colors from each cavity. They should be numbered on the black plastic housing. The thicker wires and larger pins congregate in the center. The thinner wires are on the border. I don't have a good pinout or I would provide one.

Here is a diagram of the ajar wires.
If there ajar signal is failing when the door opens, I would check everything without moving the door past that same position. Running the windows, locks mirrors in all directions. I wonder if the ground has a loose bolt or is Damaged. That is a thick black wire coming into the door. It is bolts to the body near the hood release if I remember.
That is spliced to another that bolts to the door, I think. That splice also goes to all systems in the door, expect for the speakers.
There exists a grounds diagram, I'll edit this post to include one if I find it.

Ground diagram.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yeah Savo ive seen this a hundred times in assorted vehicles too. gotta be wires flexing as it doesnt happen till door is part way open and bundle is moving Id almost bet on it. I dont know how many older cars i worked on that had windows that wouldnt roll up till you slammed the door and I think it is similar

It could be bad ground like you said, bad grounds make things go spastic.

·
Registered
6,986 Posts
I was looking at a 2006 wiring diagram and I believe the door lock wire colors on driver side are PK/LG, PK/YE, PK/BL. The lock actuator wire is RD/WH.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thank's everyone.
I had the same problem with my 05 Taurus SEL after installing an aftermarket radio except my windows stopped working instead of the door locks. I took a test light and checked all the wires on the master switch and all were hot. I ran a new ground to the black wire on the master switch and the dome light along with the message center quit flickering and all the windows work again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts