Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1997 Mercury Sable 3.0 Duratec AX4N trans

I would not have noticed this if I wasnt taking a close look at my headlights at night cause I had just polished the oxidation off of them.

I noticed wispy smoke coming from the engine bay passing in front of the light beams, I didnt notice it during the day and my engine bay is clean, I have been cleaning it lately.

Now, i DID have a small leak coming down near the Y pipe and I have attributed this to an over fill of oil during an oil change ( never doing walmart again). This has since stopped to my best knowledge

My question is this...if the oil level is too high and it causes a small leak, if this leak stops because engine oil burns off to an acceptable level, where would this leak originate? has there been permanent dmg done or can I get away with just replaced the oil pan gasket?

where can I look for this wispy engine oil smoke coming from the engine bay....likely places?

Your help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
1996-2003 DOHC Tauruses are known for having an oil pan gasket leak that tends to drip right on top of the Y pipe. You are probably due for one.

My car did the same thing, little wifts of smoke from under the headlight housing. Get under the car, clean all the residual oil off. I bet you will see the source. Another member also indicated to me that the oil pressure sending unit can leak as well, right down onto the Y pipe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1996-2003 DOHC Tauruses are known for having an oil pan gasket leak that tends to drip right on top of the Y pipe. You are probably due for one.

My car did the same thing, little wifts of smoke from under the headlight housing. Get under the car, clean all the residual oil off. I bet you will see the source. Another member also indicated to me that the oil pressure sending unit can leak as well, right down onto the Y pipe.
You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Those were my very same suspicions.

Got some free time coming up this thanksgiving, I'm going to suss out the source and confirm the leaky oil pan, my mechanic is going to make a shiny penny off me for the fix,i don't have the place or tools to pull this particular repair off

1 - 6 of 6 Posts