Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OKay, here's a boggler I've been meaning to post for a while. A few months back, I noticed that my daytime running lights were flickering some and would go really dim. This happened with the car in gear, idling, Key Forward, Engine off.

At the same time, the bright light indicator on my dash went really dim...so dim that you can barely see it. It may even be out now. The brights themselves still work, just the little blue indicator is out.

The left turn signal on the side of the car doesn't work as a park light or a blinker, and the left brake light would sometimes work and sometimes not, and now it doesn't work at all ever.

I haven't checked any bulbs because I thought for all those things to happen within a few days of each other, they had to be related. There's no burning smell or smoke or anything, and all the other accesories work perfectly.

Any ideas? I have no way to test any connections and can't afford the thieving prices mechanics charge to do electrical work. I do have some background in electronics...but this one's got me flummoxed.

Any ideas would be a treat, as I'm all out.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Originally posted by LoadedLX@Jun 30 2004, 07:50 PM
OKay, here's a boggler I've been meaning to post for a while. A few months back, I noticed that my daytime running lights were flickering some and would go really dim. This happened with the car in gear, idling, Key Forward, Engine off.

At the same time, the bright light indicator on my dash went really dim...so dim that you can barely see it. It may even be out now. The brights themselves still work, just the little blue indicator is out.

The left turn signal on the side of the car doesn't work as a park light or a blinker, and the left brake light would sometimes work and sometimes not, and now it doesn't work at all ever.

I haven't checked any bulbs because I thought for all those things to happen within a few days of each other, they had to be related. There's no burning smell or smoke or anything, and all the other accesories work perfectly.

Any ideas? I have no way to test any connections and can't afford the thieving prices mechanics charge to do electrical work. I do have some background in electronics...but this one's got me flummoxed.

Any ideas would be a treat, as I'm all out.

Thanks.
best place to start is the fuse box. but that doesn't explain....well may be it does....the blinking problem.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's something. I've never really taken a deep look at it...I wrote it off as a short or, more likely, a grounding issue (loose, perhaps), and said frock it. But It's eating at me lately, and I've now got the collective genius of the TCCA at my disposal (Muwahahaha) and I thought I'd toss this one out there, see if anyone can hit this curveball.

Thanks again, and I"ll have to get down and check the fusebox. I guess that's the most logical place to start, eh?

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
oh, well there ya go. :) Do check to see if Fuse number.....(well look it up in the manual for the fuse number that is "in charge of" the headlights/corner lights, etc. and check that fuse for defects (you may even want to try replacing it). It this doesn't help, it is your wiring. Also what is the condition of the battery? Any deposit build up on the nodes?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The battery I don't know about. I'll check the posts to see if they have any buildup. And I'll check the fuses tomorrow, since I'm off work.

Thanks again for the info, and I'll keep you posted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts