Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw capital punishments post about thinking that one topic was about lifting a taurus/sable. Well it made me wonder if people here actually would support an idea like that. Ive seen all these lifted trucks around here (where i live, beaters though) and thought how awesome it would be to get my car good couple feet off the ground. For how long the 3 gen sable is and how low, i think it would look good. I actually would consider raising the money over a good period of time to do just that if its veasable. yea yea, i know anything is with a lot of money (engine swap), but is it really actually possible? I was thinkign you would probably have to engine swap a V8 to move the bigger tires or make a FWD-RWD conversion. Any of which is WAY to much money and effort to do. Or is it :ph34r:

Now lets see if my hopes and dreams will be dashed by someone who has a lot of knowledge of this and post 18 different reasons in great detail why it cant be done.

Can lifting a 3 gen sable be possible. But dont take this as an engine swap idea. Or just simply reply that it is just as easy as an engine swap :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Well like you, yourself said, anything is possible with enough money. Now that being said, lets move on to feasibility, fist, you would definitely have to make it RWD. Simply for thew fact that when you move the steering axis down the axles would be at too great of angles. Next you would need to find a way of moving the rack and pinion down from it's present location, due to the fact that you moved your steering axis. If this were done correctly you could get the ground clearance of an H1, seriously. I know my G3 in the back yard that screeems project to me every day, has a pretty big tunnel from front to back, which with a little massaging
could quite possibly house a small block and auto or m22/T5. As far as suspension goes I'm sure once you started looking at geometries and such everything could be built right off the o.e. subframe, thus giving the ground clearance. The engine's oil pan doesn't even have to go below the bottom of the sub-frame, more ground clearance. now on to the rear, I'm sure fabricating a rear half or even a 4-bar set up shouldn't be that difficult.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Anything's possible with enough money!

This would take LOTS of money though. Just the RWD conversion would cost you boku bucks, probably in the neighborhood of $10K+, depending on what engine you decided to use. If you wanted to keep the 'tec, you'd be doing tons of fabricating on that engine. If you wanted a small block, you'd be doing tons of fabricating on the subframe, mounts, and engine compartment. I think your biggest problem would be getting a solid rear axle in there. The car was never meant to have a rear differential, so you'd need to beef everything up, and probably replace alot of the frame, not to mention the entire rear suspension. Don't get me wrong, the RWD convserion would be awesome, and I'm going to do it one day (in the the future, if I have copious amounts of money), but it's not really that feasible...especially what you want to do with raising it...

JR

S

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by 96_sab_gs@Sep 8 2004, 06:55 AM
I saw capital punishments post about thinking that one topic was about lifting a taurus/sable. Well it made me wonder if people here actually would support an idea like that.
Ummm..... NO.

I think it would be a really ugly choice. But like stated before, if you have the cash, anything is possible.

Sal

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
If you wanted to raise it a little and do it cheaply, you can go to autozone or any other auto parts store and buy some spring clamps. These will allow you to add clamps in between the coils of your springs and raise the car a couple of inches. You can also reverse them and lower the car by clamping the coils together. Although this is just temporary it will get you a couple of inches higher.

P.S. Be careful if you decide to go this way though, my buddy and I were doing this to his car (lowering it) a couple of years ago and the clamps are a beast to lower the car. Trying to clamp spring coils together can be dangerous as they have a tendency to shoot out at high speeds, my friends garage wall can attest to that! I would assume spreading the coils would be a tad bit easier although they will still have a ton of tension on them. Good luck with whatever you do.

Mike

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I would think that spreading coils would be just as difficult as clamping them. Since the spring is at neutrality under no load, changing the spring in either direction will cause the same amount of force to be used, thereby exhibiting the exact same difficulty.

JR

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:withstupid: Would be kinda nice to have it up a little bit for our winter. couple times enough snow that my moms explorer's belly was touching the snow and leaving a mark. she finally turned around and came back to wait for the plow to go by. But does anyone thing it being raised a little like that would look weird? or no? While im thinking of it, is it something that can be done before winter and taking off after since i dont need lift in the summer and tend to throw the car around to like to be sitting normal hieght?

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I think it'd be very functional to lift it a little bit because of all the crappy roads, but then the car would look stupid because it was designed to look like what it is.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Sep 8 2004, 05:27 PM
I would think that spreading coils would be just as difficult as clamping them. Since the spring is at neutrality under no load, changing the spring in either direction will cause the same amount of force to be used, thereby exhibiting the exact same difficulty.

JR
Clamping the coils? Are you saying this is an alternate way to lower your car an inch or so? And if so, how much are clamps?

·
Registered
668 Posts
I dont think raising it a few inches would look wierd, especailly with the taurus's already saggy suspension. And yes, its very functional. Especially for me when i go offroad. :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts