Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the cause, or related, or whatnot. But I'm going to tell it anyway. Because of a leak, I unknowingly ran my car today missing a gallon and a half of antifreeze. I got it fixed, and filled up, and it seems to be running strong. But I now notice a ticking sound coming from the engine. I don't know if it did this before, because you can't hear it with the hood closed. It sounds like my friend's engine when his lifters were ticking. Could this be the case on mine? It's a very quiet tick, that you can only notice with your ear close the the intake manifold. Is this caused by my own stupidity? Or simply by old age? Will running a thicker oil take care of it (I'm running 5w30 now)?

·
Premium Member
5,184 Posts
All of my vulcans have done this... The one that I drove for a 100km/s with no coolant did it especially bad. I never really figured out how to get rid of it, I Tried that stuff in the green can to quiet lifters, not sure how to get rid of it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Adam, not on topic, but when do you plan on upgrading to a newer car?

Unfortunately, the Gen 1's are now older cars.
Is it because of college expense that you wait on a newer car?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's nothing wrong with a gen1. When I get out of college and get a real job, I'm planning on getting a gen1 sho and keeping this one. It's not the age that matters, it's how well it's cared for.

·
Registered
341 Posts
amen brother. my wife had a gen II before we got married, and now we have a gen III and her mother has a gen IV. a good car is a good car, no matter the age.

pretty sure thats normal. as i understand it, valve seats expand with heat, and running it low on coolant could have caused the seats to loosen a little. not for sure though. there's tons of stuff at autozone or advanced auto or napa that you can add to your engine. lucas is a good brand, they've got a new oil treatment out.

low oil will cause a ticking too. may wanna check that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Checked the oil, it's good. I'll probably put some kind of treatment in there next oil change.

·
Registered
341 Posts
probably a good idea. don't over do it though, too much of that additive stuff can soften up your main seals and cause you some major leakage.

good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Adam,

Your car is older and could be exhibiting some piston slap or lifter slap. Nothing to worry about. Just keep changing the oil and maybe try a heavier oil to compensate. Quakerstate makes high mileage oil.

GL,
Greg.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Adam B.@Aug 11 2004, 08:15 PM
I'll probably put some kind of treatment in there next oil change.
Absolutely not! Oil treatments are a load of bullshit. They do nothing to help the engine, just hide problems.

Since the ticking is so soft, and you can't hear it with the hood closed, I'm going to throw out a guess and say that it may be the injectors you're hearing, which is normal. Maybe you're expecting to hear a problem because of the low coolant?

And as far as old cars go, I'll take my 91 SHO and 87 Burban over the newer ones any day. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
:withstupid:

Many V8 SHO owners, shortly after hearing about the whole cam failure problem, will assume their cam sprockets are "ticking" when it is actually just injector noise. It's one of those things that's always there, but you never notice it until you are listening for it.

I wouldn't use additives or even change your oil weight. The Vulcan doesn't wear much at all, so 5W-30 will be just fine even beyond 200K miles. And if it IS lifter clatter, it could be for a variety of reasons. If the hydraulic lifters are starved for oil, you may have some minor sludge or varnish deposits blocking oil flow, so thicker oil won't help (and might be worse).

Bobistheoilguy.com should be able to help you if you feel the need to try a different oil.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Bob's right, as always. Oil additives can be really bad when mixed with high wuality oils and should never be used. Just use a high quality motor oil - they have conditioners in them already.

My Vulcan has had valvetrain noise at cold startup since I got it. Nothing to really worry about.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.