Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a new car, and i am going to buy a 96 ford taurus and it has 130k miles and i was just wondering how many miles can i put on it.. From what ive driven it for it has nothing wrong with it, and the owner told me theres nothing wrong with it. I am going to take it and put it on the computer for diagnositcs but i just want to know if a 96 ford taurus with 130k is it worth $1300.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Which model Taurus is it? G, GL, LX Does it have the Duratec 24v Engine, or the OHV Engine (aka Vulcan). Take a peek at the transmission pan, does it say AXOD, AX4S, or AX4N? the AXOD has been known for some problems...so far I have only seen one '96 with one in it. Does the individual have any records? I have 141k on my '96 LX and its doing just fine...it needs new rear shocks and i had to replace the rear sway bar links...(i've replaced the axles, and wheel bearings as well...but they went bad because of an accident...(spinning 3 times on dry pavement going 90mph isnt really good for a car)..anywho for $1300 it doesnt sound like a bad deal to me. If you take care of it you should see 200k miles easy.

·
Registered
690 Posts
the milage is about right. (which engine does it have in it?) if it was maintained and you do the same you should get over 175K+ out of a Ford V-6
how is the condition of the rest of the car?
what type of options does it have in it?
Where you live are all factors for the price, are other 96's going for the same price?

Good Luck
"J"

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im in buffalo, i only got to drive it once it was smooth, i didnt take a look under the hood yet, but i will when/before i purchase it on monday/tuesday... And i think its the GE version or whichever one is G.

As far as maintaining as you say...

What do i have to keep a eye on the most...

The oil - which is the best oil to use...
How often should i check my transmission fluid...
etc...

whats everything i should be keeping a eye on...

im kinda new to cars, this is my 2nd one.

·
Registered
690 Posts
As far as maintaining as you say...

What do i have to keep a eye on the most...

The oil - which is the best oil to use...
How often should i check my transmission fluid...
etc...
check the oil color, should be clear
check the tranny fluid (motor running), should be a reddish (also check for smell.. not burnt)
and what ever car you buy you should check these fluids once a week.
I check mine when I fill it up (at the end) this way the oil has a few minutes to get back into the pan and the tranny fluid is up to temp.
Good luck
"J"

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
sine it a ford i say motorcraft. It's pretty cheap

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Which oil is best?

# SAE 5W-20 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil
# SAE 5W-30 Super Premium Motor Oil
# SAE 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil
# SAE 15W-40 Super Duty Diesel Motor Oil
# SAE 10W-30 Super Duty Diesel Motor Oil
# SAE 10W-30 Super Duty Motor Oil
# SAE 10W-30 Premium Motor Oil
# SAE 10W-40 Premium Motor Oil

Any specific transmission fluid i should use?

·
Registered
62 Posts
i've a 97 GL taurus

i use 5w30, but you can use 10w30 also since it's an old car. normally 5w30 is good for cold weather and 10w30 for summer. 100% synthetic oil would be the best oil to use.

·
Registered
62 Posts
:homer:

service your transmission every 2yrs, flush and refill..... check coolant every month if turn into brown then flush & refill.....

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Hi danesmoney, welcome to the :tcca:. I live somewhere very close to you... Angola NY.

Since it's a Buffalo car, make sure that the underbody and rocker panels (spots directly underneath the doors) aren't rotting all the way through. Your engine is most likely the 3.0L 12-valve Vulcan six, a proven, extremely reliable motor. There are members with over 200k on their engines, and most would see more if their trannies didn't fail.

A good way to avoid this is tranny coolers and flushes every 20,000 miles. I personally like the "higher-mileage" oils because of their seal conditioning agents.

$1300 doesn't sound bad for what you've described - good luck on your purchase!

G

·
Doesn't sound like a bad deal. Like everyone else said - maintenance is the key. Be sure to do tranny service and oil changes when you are supposed to. I would say that the only part of the car you really need to worry about any failures with is the tranny, so get a cooler put on and maintain it and it should last you a long time. I agree with TrueBlue about the higher mileage oils. I used Valvoline MaxLife in my old Taurus and I feel that it helped it out, it was past 100k when I got rid of it. But it had problems due to lack of maintenance by the previous owner. One other thing about maintenance, make sure you get your radiator flushed (actually by a place with a flushing machine) at least probably once a year. They have a tendancy to clog leading to failures with the heater if they aren't flushed. Also, make sure the heater in the car works. If it doesn't the heater core could be bad/plugged. However, it sounds like the car you are getting was maintained well, and that's probably the most important thing aside from how well everything works. Best of luck with your purchase and welcome to the club! :)

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by tmonster@Jul 18 2004, 11:14 AM
Take a peek at the transmission pan, does it say AXOD, AX4S, or AX4N?  the AXOD has been known for some problems...so far I have only seen one '96 with one in it. 
No '96s have AXOD transmissions. Many of them have AXOD stamped on the trans pan, but that's only b/c the pan is the same for the AXOD and AX4N. Ford had tens of thousands of extra AXOD pans at the end of '95 and they continued to use them on non-AXOD transmissions through 1999 (mostly on Windstars).

Back to the original topic, 200K is about the end of the line for most cars, regardless of whether the engine and tranny are going strong. By 200K, most of the accessories are due for replacement, and the interior and exterior are typically shot. However, by 130K, you should give up any hope of being able to sell the car for more than pocket change. $1300 isn't a bad deal if the car is in good shape overall.

The thing about a Taurus is that it will never hold its value for very long. If you had a 1996 SHO in excellent condition, it would still barely fetch $8K nowadayds, if you were lucky. Anyone who buys a Taurus as an investment is in for a rude awakening. But they are good cars, and if you intend to drive the car to the bitter end, the Taurus is a good choice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It actually has 142k and i got it for 1450... after tax and all that extra stuff...
Today i am going to get new break pads, get the oil changed and get a diagnostic test on the car... it was maintained well from what the owner told me. And as for re-sale not really looking to sell it when i'm done with it, i kinda like the frame of the car thats the main reason for purchase...

But ive been in plenty of tauruses and for some reason when its shifting the car always jumps is that natural?

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by danesmoney@Jul 22 2004, 07:37 AM
But ive been in plenty of tauruses and for some reason when its shifting the car always jumps is that natural?
That's not "normal" but it is a common symptom. If I'm not mistaken, it's the forward clutch piston sticking, and it will soon be transmission rebuild time. I've been extremely lucky with transmissions, though, so you'll probably want a second opinion from someone who has actually experienced that problem.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
I firmly do not believe that 200K miles is the end of the line. My Taurus is still going strong on its original engine at 236K. All of the accessories work (inc. power options like windows, mirrors, door locks, cruise, etc). Granted, the heater core is out and a CV axel recently was replaced but thats not much to ask for if you've got nearly a quarter million miles on your clock. The Vulcan in my car doesnt smoke, tick, knock, or buzz abnormally. It starts on the first try (I let the fuel pump prime before attemting to start, always have on any car I own that has a electronic fuel system) and gets a consistant 300 miles to a tank of gas (with my notorious spiriited driving, LMAO).

danesmoney: Good luck with your purchase. I'd get the trans concern diagnosed soon. I use Motorcraft 10W30 in both my Tempo and my Taurus. Always treated me well. I even use Motorcraft oil and filters (when avalable) on non Ford products like my Toyota Camry. It used to slightly smoke upon start up and went through oil rather quickly until I switched it to Motorcraft. When I traded it in (for a Ford of course!) the dealer commented on the Ford logo on the oil filter. I said "If its good enough for a Ford prodcut, its certainly good enough for this POS!".

1 - 18 of 18 Posts