Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
LH or RH thread on long bolt/shaft extension that is attached to harmonic balancer?

Hi everyone,
I have a 3.0 24 valve DOHC engine and I am in the process of replacing the Harmonic Balancer but am having problems loosening the 4.5 inch shaft that is screwed into the center of the harmonic balancer. The thread at the front of the shaft where the pulley attaches to had LH thread so I was able to remove it by turning clockwise. In reading some old posts on this subject it seems that some members were able to remove the bolt using an impact wrench but it was not clear whether the bolt on that end had a left hand thread as well.

Any assistance from those of you who have had experience removing this piece would be greatly appreciated.

Steve:(

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Crankshaft pulley screws into crankshaft damper with a left-hand thread. Does that answer your question? O/w I will check the book when I get home tonight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you could confirm by checking the book I would appreciate it. I tried checking the Haynes/Chilton repair manual but they don't cover the step for removing the shaft.
-Steve

·
Registered
430 Posts
I sent you a private message but in case someone else has this problem. The belt drive pulley, the bracket and that shaft bolt that screws into the harmonic balancer is one assembly and can not be taken apart and repaired. It is "REVERSE THREADED" so you have to turn it "CLOCKWISE" to take it off. Once it comes apart leaving the shaft stuck in the harmonic balancer you have a job on your hands. The way I got it out was to use a cutoff wheel and cut the shaft right at the hexhead part of the shaft so you came get an impact socket on it. Get the strongest impact wrench you can find ( something they would use on heavy equipement) and see what happens. I got lucky and mine came off. I would not advise appling heat as the harmonic balancer has a rubber insert and the crankshaft seal may be damaged. Good luck. It won't be easy.

Ed

·
Registered
430 Posts
In looking at your picture again I noticed that your engine is not in the car unless that is a file picture. I would cut that shaft right at the hexhead part of the shaft and then haul it to a truck stop and slip aguy a few dollars to hit it with one off their bada$$ impact guns.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks very much Ed. Yes , I have removed the engine from a parts car to have it installed on mine. I plan on working on this on Friday so I will let you know how it goes.
Steve

·
Registered
430 Posts
Steve,

I hope you get it done. While you are at this stage, I woould change the VSS before putting the engine back in. I wish I had, it is only $20.00 and a pain to change in the car. You may want to change the O2 sensors also if you can afford it. What I am trying to say is go through and check or change anything you can now while it is easy to get to.

Ed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts