Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Do they make projector housings for a Gen. 3 Sable? I've seen them for the gen. 4s, but no gen. 3

·
N.E. Chapter Moderator
2,684 Posts
Any projectors you would have seen were custom made. You'd need to buy the projector itself and fabricate it into the housing.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I haven't purchased one myself, but I'm planning on it. Lots of place online sell them. Amazon had some at the lower end of the price range that I saw:

Putco 239007HW Premium Automotive Lighting Wiring 9007 100W Heavy Duty Harness and Relay : Amazon.com : Automotive

Otherwise, if you just do a google search for "9007 heavy duty headlight harness" or "9007 upgraded headlight harness" you'll find sites that sell them.

https://www.google.com/search?q=9007+heavy+duty+headlight+harness&rlz=1C1PRFB_enUS488US488&oq=9007+heavy+duty+headlight+harness&aqs=chrome..69i57.6281j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

As I understand it, you can make your own also, but I don't know how.

[I completely forgot about this topic, so I'll try to re-light it]

Another thing weird I've checked on the Tbird is that my voltage to my lights are damn near identical to the battery voltage. [11.7 engine off/ 14.2 engine on]

When reading about getting harnesses I was told normally people get them because there is a significant voltage drop from the battery to the bulb itself. Though as an electrician, I also know voltage is not the only thing that can determine light output, it would also be amperage. [Small wires/higher resistance/same voltage]

Either way I'm hard pressed to buy a harness, but I really am sick of the headlights.

So, I'll purchase them in due time and make a writeup and let y'all know if it's worth it. :)

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Voltage is tied with amperage by the bulb resistance. So, a lower voltage on a given bulb will absolutely generate a lower current.
Incandescent bulbs have the light output not linear, but with square of voltage. A 5% lower voltage will generate a 7.5% lower light. A 10% lower voltage will generate a 20% drop in light.

I am recommending using the DOT legal Phillips X-Treme Power.

·
Registered
9,678 Posts
Voltage is tied with amperage by the bulb resistance. So, a lower voltage on a given bulb will absolutely generate a lower current.
Incandescent bulbs have the light output not linear, but with square of voltage. A 5% lower voltage will generate a 7.5% lower light. A 10% lower voltage will generate a 20% drop in light.

I am recommending using the DOT legal Phillips X-Treme Power.
old school rule, at the rated volts, increase 5% in volts and cuts life in half.

-chart-

·
Registered
29 Posts
Headlight aiming

Has anyone taken their vehicle in for a professional headlight aiming adjustment? And did they do anything different than what's described in the shop/service manual?

While replacing the original OEM headlight bulbs I noticed the vertical and horizontal alignment gauges on each module. So when I received my 1996 Taurus/Sable service manual I read the section in regards to headlight aiming. Very simple and straight forward with no additional aiming devises used like they used with the sealed beams. My right headlight needed minor adjustment and the left (drivers) headlight horizontal indicator was 4 marks right and the entire vertical bubble above zero. This is where I set the alignment for both sides per the service manual:

·
Registered
29 Posts
A better picture here (I used it successfully on my '96 Sable):

Is that a pic of your left headlight? If so I see that the vertical alignment bubble is way negative or aimed downward. The shop manual states to put the bubble in the orange marked zone on the gauge. As you can see from my revised pic there is no orange only the bold lines, so that where I set mine at.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I want to get HIDs for mine soon, I just wanna know the best place to mount the ballasts.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've experienced the same poor headlight quality with my car and have finally made some progress with it. As others have mentioned, the first thing that I started with was re-aiming the headlights. I then replaced my 12v 55/65 watt xenon halogen bulbs with 12v 85/100 watt 8000K Xenon halogen bulbs that i purchased from here:

9007 HB5 Premium 8000K Xenon Replacement Halogen Bulbs Compatibility List 1 | eBay

The stock wiring doesn't seem to be getting hot or have any problems with them yet, however I still plan on purchasing this heavy duty wiring harness to upgrade the stock one for better performance.

Putco 239007HW Premium Automotive Lighting Wiring 9007 100W Heavy Duty Harness and Relay : Amazon.com : Automotive

Best of Luck!

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
What are you guys putting on your headlight housings to prevent the lenses from oxidizing?
I don't use anything, but there are chemical treatments available at most auto parts stores. They should be able to tell you what's popular and what people like.

·
Registered
29 Posts
What are you guys putting on your headlight housings to prevent the lenses from oxidizing?
I'm using Nu-Finish auto polish per recommendation by one of maintenance techs at work. If the lenses are still clear it's suppose to protect from the UV's and chemicals that dull the plastic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an 04 SE I would like To get Projectors for it , does anyone know where I can get them ? I Tried The HID Conversion . But since I have the daytime running lights they won't work ! Any information would be appreciated . Thank you

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I have an 04 SE I would like To get Projectors for it , does anyone know where I can get them ? I Tried The HID Conversion . But since I have the daytime running lights they won't work ! Any information would be appreciated . Thank you
No aftermarket supplier makes them, you'll have to make them yourself.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Thank you so much !! Now to figure out how to do that !!! Or should I just upgrade the harness ?
I would recommend upgrading the harness first. In order to retrofit in projectors, there's a lot of work involved (oven, lens removal, projector fitment, alignment, etc. etc.). Make sure your headlights are clear, properly aligned, fitted with new bulbs (I recommend Philips CrystalVision Ultra's), and then add the upgraded harness.

That's my next step! It's supposed to increase light output by around 30%, but unfortunately reduces headlight bulb life. However, at $20 for a pair of the Philips bulbs on Amazon, it's a price I'm willing to pay for safe nighttime visibility :)

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I am using Philips X-treme Power from Amazon. Sure, they will last less than the original long-life bulbs, but they provide 80% more light. I am OK with that.
Similar bulba are the GE Nighthawk Platinum - 90% more light.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I am using Philips X-treme Power from Amazon. Sure, they will last less than the original long-life bulbs, but they provide 80% more light. I am OK with that.
Similar bulba are the GE Nighthawk Platinum - 90% more light.
Any problems with the stock wiring running these bulbs? I've heard some people have had issues with the wiring getting wrecked with high-powered bulbs, especially the Nighthawk's, but that's just what I've heard.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts