Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody. I've recently found myself working nightshifts for a very long time.

As most everyone knows my 2000 has 5100k HID Xenon Projectors. As great as hell as that is, she's been down for half a year and I'm stuck driving the Tbird.

Well the housings suck, so I buffed em up, and the bulbs were from 1999, so I put in the Silverstar Ultra's from my 2000.

So even with almost crystal clear housings and the average-good bulb most people recommend, I've noticed it's still kind of dim. Keep in mind I am really spoiled by HID's now.

So I was doing research on "like-HID" styled bulbs. I really don't want to upgrade the Bird anymore than I have to. [Ongoing Taurus project is a drain on budgets] So I was thinking something inexpensive, bright, and white as all hell gets. I hate blue, and I dislike yellow.

So far my research led me to a few choices, some I can't remember but two are Phillips CrystalVision Ultra, and Phillips Xtreme Power (+80%), both claiming to be bright white with no indication of yellow.

But the mixed reviews about them is just a headache of ramble. Some say they're the best thing since sliced bread, others think they're just slightly above average. The same reviews are shared on the other bulbs I've found as well.

So, without further delays, I'd like to just get everyone's input on some good bulbs, what everyone's tried, etc. I would still like to upgrade the wiring harness on this car as well to see if that helps. We all know Silverstar Ultra's are good but what's better out there?

·
Registered
834 Posts
You'll hate me for it, but get HID's. Especially since you have projectors, and HID's are getting really cheap, make sure you don't go super cheap though; get something that's good quality. As for hating the blue, get a lower K number such as 4,300 or 5K. Don't get 6K, it looks white but in reality it has some blue in it. You can only get so much power from a stock bulb, and you'll be spending a lot of money on bright bulbs that will burn out very quickly, and for the same price you can get HID's which will last you forever. You can get 55w HID's if you need extreme brightness

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just don't want to have to build those housings for my Tbird. I know they have those "conversion kits" by putting a HID in a stock reflector but I'm not up for that garbage.

The 5100k's on my Taurus are the perfectest white you can get. No hint of blue, no hint of yellow.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Ahh, then yes regular bulbs are the way to go. Just don't be one of those people who spend $60 on extremely bright headlights and have them burn out within a few months. Waste on money

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
Did you try aiming the headlights? On a car that old they're probably going to be out of adjustment. That can make a big difference.

I know you're used to HIDs and probably don't like the yellow tinge of halogen bulbs, but honestly the brightest bulbs are the clear ones like the XtraVision bulbs. The blue coating they put on the Silverstars removes usable light. It's sort of like the argument against the 10000K HID bulbs I'm guessing you've heard of.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I have Philips Crystal Vision Ultras in my bull now. I've had them in since September with no issues, and they're pretty bright. I bought them after doing research on the brightest bulbs on the market like you have. Supposedly they're the brightest halogen bulb on the market at 4100k. I bought them for $20 on Amazon with free shipping so I didn't spend a ton of money on them. I also plan on getting an upgraded headlight harness to boost the power to the bulbs. At $20 a set, I can afford to have them burn out a bit earlier than standard bulbs and to me the benefit is worth the cost.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
507 Posts
Philips now has the X-treme Vision bulb, which is supposedly their brightest one at this time. Got them in my 05 Sable with the heavy duty wiring and relays from Germany. Most light from a 55 watt bulb without going to HID's with the bother of changing out the reflectors. Then again some of us can never get enough light at night. But, for now this is an adequate setup. If you need more light you'll just have to start doing the carrot juice thing.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm running Silverstars in the Marquis, and those are an upgrade over the basic Sylvania halogens I had, especially since the wiring for the headlamps are weaksauce on Panthers. Light output is clear, and I haven't had any bulb outages since I put them in last year.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'll have to see what's in my rental car. the brights are like freaking daylight. No kidding. Brightest headlights I've even seen. Rental is a 2012 civic btw

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
The brights in your rental Civic are probably not special bulbs, they're probably just very bright standard bulbs because they're newer. Plus, Civics use a dual reflector housing, meaning there is one reflector built specifically for the filament in a standard, low-beam bulb and one reflector built specifically for the high-beam bulb filament. This means that each reflector has been engineered exactly to fit the bulb, increasing the light output to it's utmost potential.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
This makes sense ^
It really does. It's a shame more vehicles don't come with headlight housings engineered this way. It makes a lot of sense, because a headlight reflector can only be engineered for one bulb filament, so you're sacrificing your lows, highs, or a little of both in housings with just one reflector. Usually the sacrifice is the high beams.

A friend of mine had a 2009 Mazda 3. Projector low beams, reflector high beams. Talk about a car that could light up the road! And she didn't even have HID's in there.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Honestly, upgrading the headlight harness , some clean lenses and a good set of bulbs does wonders.

The harness alone is worth its weight in gold.

-Sam

·
Registered
45 Posts
Honestly, upgrading the headlight harness , some clean lenses and a good set of bulbs does wonders.

The harness alone is worth its weight in gold.

-Sam
Agreed, upgrade your headlight harness!

Low beams with factory harness:

Low beams with upgraded harness:

·
N.E. Chapter Moderator
2,684 Posts
Details on purchasing said harness?

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I haven't purchased one myself, but I'm planning on it. Lots of place online sell them. Amazon had some at the lower end of the price range that I saw:

Putco 239007HW Premium Automotive Lighting Wiring 9007 100W Heavy Duty Harness and Relay : Amazon.com : Automotive

Otherwise, if you just do a google search for "9007 heavy duty headlight harness" or "9007 upgraded headlight harness" you'll find sites that sell them.

https://www.google.com/search?q=9007+heavy+duty+headlight+harness&rlz=1C1PRFB_enUS488US488&oq=9007+heavy+duty+headlight+harness&aqs=chrome..69i57.6281j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

As I understand it, you can make your own also, but I don't know how.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I just replaced my original bulbs (date code '97 and '98) with Sylvania Xtravision bulbs and buffed the housings. What a difference. Xtravision seemed to be the best compromise on brightness vs lifetime and cost.
The wiring on my '98 Taurus is the smallest I've seen on any car ever. Next upgrade..

·
Registered
70 Posts
I use sylvania ZXE's in my SHO. They are pretty bright and have a bright white light to them. They aren't as bright as my 12' Fusion but they are very and I mean very close.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts