Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Order some new slotted rotors and Hawk Performance pads for my 2010 SHO the other day. Going to install them and clean up / paint the calipers over the Christmas break. Hopefully it will help with making it stop a little better. If not, I am gonna have to make a custom Brembo kit or something......

·
Registered
17 Posts
The SHO's should have been equiped with better/heavier duty brakes. The people that are upgrading thier brakes on the SHO's are only putting on what should have been part of the of the package to begin with. The 2013's are coming out with an improved package.

I did forget about a TSB issue for certain builds. Not exactly sure what the symtoms were or what the fix is.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, the factory brakes leave a lot to be desired. They made the car fast, they just forgot to make it stop equally as good.....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes... Believe the Performance Package gets slightly different pads however.

I also installed new rotors (power slots front) and new pads (stop tech front) all around on my Flex. Wanted EBC Red Pads, but they were back-ordered with no projection on ship date. Really makes a difference, but also have lots of brake dust on front.

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
I never thought the brakes were bad at all. Coming out of a 98 F-150 that had front disc/rear drums, then an 07 Lincoln Mark LT the SHO brakes were at least 2 steps up from those vehicles.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My biggest complaint on this vehicle involves the brakes. The peddle is way too soft and the car just lacks that quick stopping power. Of course, I'm spoiled by my last two vehicles that used Brembo brakes on all 4 corners (CTS-V & SRT Jeep).
If Brembo ever makes a front kit, I'm definitely buying it. From what I've been able to gather, the 2013's will use a different master cylinder but not different calipers.
I think slotted rotors, performance pads, and stainless/braided lines would get us in the ballpark at least.

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
The calipers with the '13 SHO Performance Pack are supposedly going to be upgraded from stock, too.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The calipers with the '13 SHO Performance Pack are supposedly going to be upgraded from stock, too.
Hmmm, I don't remember reading they would be upgraded but do remember reading they would be "track tuned" with the PP.

Here's a note straight from a Ford Technical Specifications sheet for teh 2013 SHO:

"AVAILABLE PACKAGE
SHO Performance Package: 20-inch bright machined painted aluminum wheels; performance summer
compound tires; performance brake pads; heavy-duty cooling system, EPAS specially calibrated steering;
ESC track mode; 3:16:1 final drive gear ratio; tire mobility kit
Specifications are preliminary and subject to change"

But I could be wrong. I hope they upgrade the calipers! That might give us a chance to do a direct swap.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Here's what MotorTrend says:

"One of the biggest complaints we've had with the Taurus has been its Charmin-soft brakes, especially on the SHO. Ford listened, and the 2013 Taurus lineup gets a larger, better-tuned brake master cylinder designed to improve pedal feel and response. The brake friction material is also being updated to help aid in overall grabbiness of the binders.

The 2013 SHO will also offer a Performance Package that comes with a tuned suspension, performance brake pads and calipers, a 3.16 to 1 final drive ratio for better off-the-line punch, an Electronic Stability Control track mode with a true off selection, improved EPAS, and an enhanced extreme duty cooling system."

So it does look like the calipers will be different. I was definitely wrong, even though the Ford Spec sheet doesn't mention anything. Odd...

·
Registered
37 Posts
I believe I read somewhere that Brembo lists Ford SHO (2013) as one of their customers for OEM brakes. If this is true, it might limit the aftermarket wheel availability, like it did on G8 GXP.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I believe I read somewhere that Brembo lists Ford SHO (2013) as one of their customers for OEM brakes. If this is true, it might limit the aftermarket wheel availability, like it did on G8 GXP.
If they are Brembo calipers, we won't be able to do a swap without buying a new set of wheels...

·
Midwest Chapter Mod
1,152 Posts
Anyone ever consider that spacers may resolve the perceived fitment issues??

http://trakplus.com/

Once at H&R's website, proceed to the "find application" tab, then plug in your model year (2010,11,12) Taurus SHO and wallah!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Anyone ever consider that spacers may resolve the perceived fitment issues??

trakplus.com

Once at H&R's website, proceed to the "find application" tab, then plug in your model year (2010,11,12) Taurus SHO and wallah!
There are different types of spacers. I got some for my Flex, but didn't need them. Max safe spacer is under 5mm, without replacing the studs with longer ones. Other type uses our studs and is thick enough for new studs that are a part of the spacer. With these, you can change bolt pattern for many other wheels. Might work with the right wheel offset. Adds more weight though, which affects braking negatively.

Like Darreli said elsewhere, his much lighter/wheels and tires really helped his braking feel, as they did for me, especially after new softer pads. Eliminating 15 lbs a wheel of rotating mass is a great diet for brakes!

·
Registered
73 Posts
There are different types of spacers. I got some for my Flex, but didn't need them. Max safe spacer is under 5mm, without replacing the studs with longer ones. Other type uses our studs and is thick enough for new studs that are a part of the spacer. With these, you can change bolt pattern for many other wheels. Might work with the right wheel offset. Adds more weight though, which affects braking negatively.

Like Darreli said elsewhere, his much lighter/wheels and tires really helped his braking feel, as they did for me, especially after new softer pads. Eliminating 15 lbs a wheel of rotating mass is a great diet for brakes!
Stainless braided brake lines might do wonders for us. We'd have to get them custom made...

·
Registered
73 Posts
YES! Stainless braided brake lines do make a good deal of difference. Had them on a few of my cars in the past.
I've inquired at a place online already, but of course nothing for our cars. I'm going to look into a bit more. Hopefully, it wont cost an arm & leg.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts