Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
maybe an mx-3 4banger?? they were bubbly, but nowhere close in appearence to datsun z's.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I agree with the general concensus that it was an MX-3, but are you sure it was mazda? It could've been a Civic Hatchback. I think that might fit the description.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Yeah, probably the mx-3 with the 1.8 V-6.

An interresting fact: that was the smallest displacement production V-6....

Edit: whoops, sorry, I didn't read that you said the mx-3 in the pic's above wasn't it (Do'h!!)

·
Registered
230 Posts
my friend has an mx3 with the 6 banger...
it looks fast but my bull can crap all over it . i have raced him a few times, off the line i kill him, he pulls a little from 40-45, and once i hit about 50 theres no chance in hell he can catch up.

i think it's 125 horsies but only about 100-110 ft/lbs of torque.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Was it maybe a Mercury Capri? The mid-'80s Mustang clone? I know those had hideous bubble hatches, and most had 4cyl engines, though a few had the 5.0...

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
You see? This is where Venom and Midnight, with their extensive import knowledge, would know it right off the bat, yessir. Yooooo-hoo....

:EDIT: I just reread that last sentence like Bill Cosby would say it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I can tell ya what it is, it's an old model Mazda 626 hatchback, being that the last hatch 626 imported to the states was in '92. And as far as those MX3's, I wouldn't sleep too lightly on them if I were ya'll. Yeah, the 128hp 1.8L V6 was kinda slow, but half of the owners who are in to modifying in make sure that's the first thing they get rid of. And the toss it for either 2 engines, the 626/Probe/MX6's 2.5L V6, or the J spec KL ZE 2.5L 200 hp engine. With either engine swap, they're fast as hell. With just the regular 2.5L in it get's them in the mid 14's and the ZE model is running a high 13 unmodified. So watch what you diss if you don't know much about it.... just a head's up

·
Registered
178 Posts
BTW, here's the pics

If you ever see any in this bodystyle here in the states, Ya
ll need to let me know seriously

·
Registered
108 Posts
ya he is right. i was at a stop light and this 74 beetle pulls up. and asks ti race and i just laughed at him....(i was in the cobra).....but anyways. light turns green and boom he shifta and the tires spin and he was gone(. lol he stopped and we talked and he had a 302 in it with a rachet shifter........

1 - 17 of 17 Posts