Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The past couple days it has been really cold in chicago. Both today and yesterday I let the car warm up 2 minutes before putting it into gear. Both times the car stalled out. How much longer do I have to wait on a near 0 morning? Let me tell you this baby starts right up with the new battery and the mobil 1 5w30

J

·
0 Posts
My car starts right up - no problems at all
(Valvoline Full Synthetic, 5w30). I usually just let mine idle down to about 1k RPMs or below, then she takes right off. I'm not rough on her until she gets up to running temp though.

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
I've never let the car warm up. Even when I lived in Ohio with my 97 SHO we just would start it right up and drive away. It seemed to be fine.

Here in CA the same with our 2001. Just start it up and go. It is a bit warmer here though.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I always wait until the rpms drop to 1100-1000 or so. My car always idles high (1700-2000 which seems high to me but normal) and it drops back to 1000 after 20-30 seconds. When it really cold out (below zero) I put the car in gear and wait another 20-30 seconds for the tranny fluid to circulate a bit before driving off. I also use Mobil 1 5w/30 and when it was -7 Monday my car started fine.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah my car starts great, Like a champ. But if I put it in gear to get moving after waiting 2 mins she dies out. After she dies out starting her again is difficult, I have to hold the gas pedle to the floor. What do you think is wrong with her? No codes. O2 sensor maybe?

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
You should always let the car warm up on the initial start-up. Oil gets very thick when it's cold, so it will not circulate through the system very well. It is my understanding that the reason the engine rpms are higher when first starting it up on a cold morning is because the oil pump needs more rpm to move the oil sufficiently. I always let the engine settle down to around 1k rpm before I take off, and no WOT or anything past 3500 rpm before the temp guage is fully in the normal range. It should also be noted that the temp guage is water temp, not oil temp so it is not the absolute best way to guage when it is safe to start driving hard.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by kjw86ca@Jan 7 2004, 10:01 AM
I've never let the car warm up. Even when I lived in Ohio with my 97 SHO we just would start it right up and drive away. It seemed to be fine.

Here in CA the same with our 2001. Just start it up and go. It is a bit warmer here though.
A big dog V8 should have no problem with the cold

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
If you need to floor it to get it restarted you are flooding it. Does it stall if you drive right off? When you let it warm up for a minute or two you are then in between states of dead cold and running rich due to the fact your coolant temp sensor is not over 140F.

I usually just let the car idle for a few seconds and go. Hopefully you are using a 5wx oil.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bottom line, On a cold cold day -10 to 10 degrees F, how long do you wait before you move from park to drive? And if you don't wait long enough does it stall?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I may wait 30 seconds. And no it does not stall. If you are stalling out there is a problem. Maybe a tune up is needed or you have a vacuum leak or a weak IAC valve?

J

·
0 Posts
It was 5 degrees (F) when I left work yesterday after the car had been sitting out in the cold for 9 hours and she started right up, I always wait until the idle goes down to about 1k (normal warm idle for me is like 750), which is no longer than a minute probably then I just take it easy til I'm up to full running temp.

Ohio sucks - I am really mad that it's so cold right now and my car is all salt covered, but there's snow and ice on the ground and it's too cold for the salt to work and too cold to wash my car.... grrr... ohio sucks!
Then they put the calcium chloride on the road or whatever that crap is and it gets rid of the snow and ice even when it's too cold for salt to work, so then I get all the grime from that crap and plus it's wet and causes the salt to get splashed all over the car! <_< [/RANT]

·
Registered
48 Posts
Originally posted by jtkz13@Jan 7 2004, 11:19 AM
It is my understanding that the reason the engine rpms are higher when first starting it up on a cold morning is because the oil pump needs more rpm to move the oil sufficiently
My car does this in the summer too. I've asked around about this and it seems to be a normal trait for Ford vehicles, although mine sometimes going to 2000 rpms on startup seems excessive to me. Until I get any CEL codes, decreased mpg or driveability issues I'm just going to deal with it. My '01 Windstar does this also, although it never goes past 1600 rpms on startup.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
I use 0W-30 Mobil 1 in the winter. I start it up and wait the 10-15 seconds for the rpms to drop down to about 1000. I don't go WOT for the first mile or so, so the engine and trans are at least warmed up before I push it.

Most modern fuel injected cars won't need more than 30 seconds to warm up, unless the temps are way below 0*F. If you are getting more than a few days in the winter below 0*F, you should probably have a block heater, anyway.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Originally posted by davesbedroom@Jan 7 2004, 08:41 AM
The past couple days it has been really cold in chicago. Both today and yesterday I let the car warm up 2 minutes before putting it into gear. Both times the car stalled out. How much longer do I have to wait on a near 0 morning? Let me tell you this baby starts right up with the new battery and the mobil 1 5w30
I live up north in Minnesota. Last winter I installed a remote start so I start my car atleast 10 to 15 minutes before I leave on cold mornings!!

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Ditto. I use my remote starter when I leave for work, when I leave for lunch, when I leave to come back home...

Especially yesterday, with a high of 2 and a wind chill of about -20. Nice to walk outside and get into a warm car

·
Registered
221 Posts
My Taurus has been hard starting ever since fall rolled around. When I just turn the key, the starter has to crank forever till the engine fires up. However, when I press a little on the gas while turning the key, the engine fires up shortly thereafter. When my engine is warm or if it has only been off for a short while, the engine fires right up without stepping on the gas.

I live in SE Wisconsin, and starting has been especially rough on these frigid cold mornings (about 0-5 degrees F).

I think I have a weak fuel pump, or possibly a broken fuel gasket... what do you guys think?

·
Registered
411 Posts
When it cold you gotta keep giving it gas, that will get her going!!

On a side note, I usually just start it up and drive.

The things that you might want to check:

1) IAC
2) ACT
3) ECT

My money is on the IAC or the ECT, as fuel trim comes from that along with idle bypass air control.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
My car gets 10w-30 motor oil. It'll rev at about 1k RPM on the initial startup, then go down to about 6-800 RPMs after about 20 seconds. And that's when I take off.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts