Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dad wants me to get a less restrictive muffler to help me at autocross... does this make sense? And will it have any effect on fuel economy?

Secondly, what would be the best muffler to get, without spending loads of money?

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
:lol2: Not really. I mean, the only thing it's going to do is make your car louder. If you really want to improve power, get a highflow y pipe, underdrive pulley and a tune from Paul. A muffler isn't going to do anything. It's not going to hurt your fuel economy, when I switched to turbo mufflers on my 99 I didn't see a decrease in MPG.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, that's what I thought....

Well, the rules say any part of the exhaust behind (downstrem of) the header/manifold or catalytic converter may be substituted or removed.

A muffler is required, and must not be "excessively loud", as determined by the event chairman.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
yea, you want to do ur suspension up before any of that. you can have a 400 hp car at autocross but if you dont got the suspension whats the point?

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a LOT a LOT a LOT of rules regarding suspension. Lots of "you are allowed to do this, this, this, and nothing else".

Dad made a list of a few easy things to do to my car, and one of them is a new muffler, so I'm starting my search.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
The muffler is the furthesrt down steam and has the least effect on the exhasut system. The catalytic converters will have a bigger impact so start there. Our UDP will probabaly have a bigger effect then a muffler.

Start with suspenion and brakes as that will have a bigger effect. I have seen little 4cyl cars do awsome jsut because of a good driver and good suspension. Auto-X is not a horsepower contest. It is a driving contest.

I went with my SHO fiarly well modified and didnt say anything.

·
Registered
681 Posts
QUOTE (Sean T. @ May 26 2009, 12:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728006
Dad wants me to get a less restrictive muffler to help me at autocross... does this make sense? And will it have any effect on fuel economy?

Secondly, what would be the best muffler to get, without spending loads of money?[/b]
Come get my SHO and see how she does.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's a whole other class. I am up against Saturns, a Mazda3, Jetta, and a Cobalt. A SHO would be up against Mini Cooper S's, Cobalt SS's, and a bunch of others. So basically it wouldn't be much of an improvement since you;d be up against better cars.

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
You really need to work on your suspension first before your muffler. As stated abouve, Auto-X is not only split into categories with ~performance cars, but it's the driving that makes the difference, not the amount of power behind those 2 wheels.

Put your money into your suspension and a UDP.

THEN work on your exhaust system.

·
Registered
681 Posts
QUOTE (Sean T. @ May 27 2009, 12:30 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728182
That's a whole other class. I am up against Saturns, a Mazda3, Jetta, and a Cobalt. A SHO would be up against Mini Cooper S's, Cobalt SS's, and a bunch of others. So basically it wouldn't be much of an improvement since you;d be up against better cars.[/b]
I have KONI's and Eibachs as far as suspension goes. I know it's a different class. I'd just like to see how it would compete. Come get it.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Believe me, I would. But you rare kindof 8 hours away.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Which is just enough time behind the wheel to get comfy with the car!

Really isn't that far. Take the Merkur, that might be a better car for it.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MMMMMMMMMMMM... Merkur...

Maybe when I come visit Dave, we can drive out to see you.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'd work on suspension, but I was reading on here yesterday that the stuck muffler is very restrictive - so....

Also, don't worry bout noise at Autocross events. I was at one Saturday spectating, and there were two or three subarus with EWG's (very, very loud) and a straight piped civic hatch (thing handled great). They're not big sticklers on noise.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
daveromanjr...we're both in the Pittsburgh area. :)

What do they say you can and can't do with the suspension? (is the rulebook you need to stick to online?)

·
Registered
681 Posts
QUOTE (ford_ses @ May 27 2009, 04:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728370
daveromanjr...we're both in the Pittsburgh area. :)

What do they say you can and can't do with the suspension? (is the rulebook you need to stick to online?)[/b]
He was my first thought. That's a few hours away via the turnpike. Really nice drive though.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
QUOTE (NickS @ May 27 2009, 07:56 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728226
I'd work on suspension, but I was reading on here yesterday that the stuck muffler is very restrictive - so....

Also, don't worry bout noise at Autocross events. I was at one Saturday spectating, and there were two or three subarus with EWG's (very, very loud) and a straight piped civic hatch (thing handled great). They're not big sticklers on noise.[/b]
Lol, our region has someone come out and take decibel ratings at each event. They even check your muffler before they will pass the technical inspection to allow you to race.

Sadly, the rulebook for 2009 isn't online. The 2007 one can be downloaded but I think you have to be a member to do that (I had to log in IIRC). I have a copy of the rulebook for 2009 and I'm gonna go through and take notes on what rules effect my car, (the whole thing is like 350 pages long, but the suspension section for my class is only about 4).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts