Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, me and the misses went into MORE debt to buy a 99 Buick LeSabre. (you may now kick my a**, but i have to tell ya...)

Side by side -

99 LeSabre - power everything, whistles and bells, 3.8 Liter (3800 series) engine. 205 horsepower. Leather interior.

95 Taurus - Power everything, few whistles and bells, 3.0 Vortec engine. 140 horsepower.

Now looking at this list, you would think - LeSabre: Faster, more comfy.
WRONG!

Driving the Lesabre with its 60 more horses, i realised, My faithful ol'bull could run circles around this thing! And the cloth interior does not freeze your a** on cold days
Now don't get me wrong, i like the LeSabre, but I still think, all things considered, the Taurus is just a better vehicle.

Now let's reflect on our beloved bull and i speak MOSTLY to you GEN II owners.
Tho the GEN II has it all, it looks like it has little, at a glance. Stealth controllers. The 3.0 with it's 140 horses, No, it is not a lot, but it uses EVERY LAST one of those 140 ponies to move its a** quite well. Humble, yet powerful and luxurious.

The taurus is not flashy, not fancy, but that does NOT mean it cannot kick a**. Someone out there will kick me in the backside for thinking a vulcan is powerful. It is far from the bulls most powerful engine, but think, it's weakest engine is still better than a lot of other V6's. So what is the point of this ramble? I love my taurus, and still do. I almost cried when i thought it was time to say good bye.
Boy, the biggest feature of our bulls is it's ability to show it's true personality and hook you. has a place in my heart.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts

I cant agree with you more! My friend has a 97 GTP. Its got all the goodies and was a way more expensive car than my taur and his car is crap!! I hate the ride, its too noisy, and i just think the build quality is blah. me and my friends all would take my taurus over his car. Dont get me wrong, his car is fast as all get out, but who would enjoy it when the ride is beating you to death. just my 2cents.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Either it's psychological or your LeSabre needs a tune up.

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by impatient95@Feb 11 2004, 05:44 PM
Yesterday, me and the misses went into MORE debt to buy a 99 Buick LeSabre. (you may now kick my a**, but i have to tell ya...)

Side by side -

99 LeSabre - power everything, whistles and bells, 3.8 Liter (3800 series) engine. 205 horsepower. Leather interior.

95 Taurus - Power everything, few whistles and bells, 3.0 Vortec engine. 140 horsepower.

Now looking at this list, you would think - LeSabre: Faster, more comfy.
WRONG!

Driving the Lesabre with its 60 more horses, i realised, My faithful ol'bull could run circles around this thing! And the cloth interior does not freeze your a** on cold days
Now don't get me wrong, i like the LeSabre, but I still think, all things considered, the Taurus is just a better vehicle.

Now let's reflect on our beloved bull and i speak MOSTLY to you GEN II owners.
Tho the GEN II has it all, it looks like it has little, at a glance. Stealth controllers. The 3.0 with it's 140 horses, No, it is not a lot, but it uses EVERY LAST one of those 140 ponies to move its a** quite well. Humble, yet powerful and luxurious.

The taurus is not flashy, not fancy, but that does NOT mean it cannot kick a**. Someone out there will kick me in the backside for thinking a vulcan is powerful. It is far from the bulls most powerful engine, but think, it's weakest engine is still better than a lot of other V6's. So what is the point of this ramble? I love my taurus, and still do. I almost cried when i thought it was time to say good bye.
Boy, the biggest feature of our bulls is it's ability to show it's true personality and hook you. has a place in my heart.
I'm 100% with you on this one buddy! I completely understand. When I got rid of my 99 I looked at other cars, and nothing could compare to the bull!

And I gotta agree with you about the Vulcan - Vulcan Powah!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, while the taurus is not a LOT faster, pound for pound it is.

It just seems the LeSabre is saying "Don't hurt me!" when I hit the gas, while the Taurus screams "MORE MORE MORE MORE"

My Taurus? At first, i didn't want the thing, now, I don't want to part with it.
ya know it is like people, at first you think you will hate someone, but grow to be best of buds.

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
I know what you mean. Before my friend's 93 bull got t-bone it did have a smoth ride when compare to my grand am. You could not even hear the engine. But the 3800 is no dog. But my frinds 93 was. In tip top running order, my other friend in his 92 2.3 tempo GL 3-speed auto beat him in a race. But I beat them all in my 2.4 Gran Am

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
The LeSabre is a heavy luxo boat. We owned a Buick Century actually before the Taurus replaced it, and the car was junk. 1st and 2nd gear it would probably hang or beat the Vulcan (It had the 3.1), but I raced a riced Civic on the highway, and got whooped. Worthless GM gearing...

Didn't matter much though, because the trans-axle died soon after buying it.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
My aunt purchased a 2002 (or '03? I cant remember) LeSaber and she likes it. What she doesnt like is the fact that its been back to the shop about half a dozen times and is still having more problems (most recently, a coolant leak and a strange interior rattle the dealer cant find but acknolwedges its existance).

She commented on my Taurus and asked me "Is Ford Taurus just about the best mid size car out there?" and I answered that in my opinion, yes the Taurus is the best mid size sedan currently on the market. She'd never buy an import again (she had a Nissan a while back) and does not like Chrysler products. The GM dealers are slashing prices on newer LeSabers to get them off the lot but a comperable Taurus is still cheaper. For now, the extended warranty on the LeSaber is holding it to gether (at around 38K miles) so until that fizzles, they're keeping the Buick. Add that to the fact that their full size GM pickup's rear end is going out (pre-100K) and you have a family thats on the verge of putting two blue ovals in their driveway soon.

The only problem is their doughter had a 1995 Ford Contour LX with the 2.5 Duratec and it was a major headache after reaching about 65-70K miles. Major suspension problems and very high repair bills on minor stuff. I told her that not only was that a first-year car, it was also USED when she bought it. Its possible but often difficult to make a correct assumption about a given cars reliability when you have purchased it used and have no idea what the prevoius owner had done to it. She traded it in on a new Camry and vowed never to go back to Ford again.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
It was also a Contour; I don't mean to rag or anything, but the Contour had one of the worst reliability records during its production run (the last two years though were Ok, I think).

It was such a bad execution in terms of shifting the design over from Europe, and one of the reasons why they currently have a Gen2 Mondeo (Contour) in Europe and we don't.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I sure wish my dad would have brought back one of those Mondeos, i really liked those cars a lot, but importing them u have sooo much crap to do (ie change windshield, exhaust system ,etc).

As for the buick...my dad rented one for about a week and I think Enterprise gave him a lemon. It had so many problems, (liek a previously posted, it leaked oil all over our garage floor (bout 1/4 cup i think or so). And that was an 04...i think the quality is slippin @ GM, while Ford improves it. All the better for Ford

·
Registered
663 Posts
You can buy the Mondeo in Mexico-- LHD and probably close to U.S. emission and crash standards. It seems to come with the old 2.0L ZETEC and the 2.5L Duratec. No 2.3L i4 or ST options, oh well.

Motor Litros 2.0 2.5
Motor cc 1,999 2,544
Maximum power hp/PS 145 @ 6,000 170 @ 6,000
Par máximo libras/pie 138 @ 4,500 165 @ 4,250

I did a mtx i4 Mondeo vs mtx v6 Mondeo at Ford Mexico's site:
http://www.ford.com.mx/e_brochure.asp?guid...46&model=mondeo

1 - 12 of 12 Posts