Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friends 2000 Taurus Station Wagon appears to have multiple electrical problems associated with the left front marker lamp always being on dimly when the key is in the run position with the car running or not running. Additionally the delay relay located below the dash can be heard cycling if any of the doors are open. Numerous dash lights come on incorrectly. With the car running, if the parking lights are turned on, the left turn signal is activated, or the hazard lights are activated, the engine shuts down. The car can be restarted if the activated switch is returned to off. If the bulb is removed from the left front parking lamp, the car does not shut down. With a volt meter, I noted a little over 4 volts on the ground for the left front parking lamp. with either the turn signal on or the parking lamp on, the ground voltage goes up to 8 volts. The horn does not work, you can hear a relay buzzing, however the horns do not sound, and the front windshield wipers will not turn on in any position. The front windshield washer motor does work, however the wiper arms do not move when the washer motor is activated. I have check all fuses to be good and swapped numerous relays trying to move the problem to no avail. I cleaned the MFS using contact cleaner, the problems did not improve. No connectors appear to be lose. I am looking for any thoughts or recommendations? I will replace the MFS as soon as it arrives at the parts store though I do not believe the the MFS is the source of the marker lamp problem.

Brian

I tried a new MFS, no change in the symptoms.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
You're almost certainly going to need the 2000 wiring diagrams.

Or an expert... hopefully one will come along.

Or an exorcist.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
I'm going to wager a guess and say it has to do with a bad ground somewhere. If there's another way to get to ground, electricity will get there, even if it means going through other stuff to get there.

I'd get some wiring diagrams for you, but unfortunately, I don't have access to them anymore. :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To help with the ground identification, does anyone have a drawing that shows where all of the key ground points are for a 2000 Taurus wagon? The poor drawings that I am using out of a Haynes manual only id grounds in the circuit schematic, and do not identify where they are on the car. I have already cleaned the ground for the PCM, however that did not change the symptoms. My thoughts on key grounds are the one for the left headlight harness and possibly the ground for the GEM. I am assuming that the GEM is under the dash, but do not know specifically where, can anyone provide some locating guidence for the GEM relative to the fuse block?

Brian

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
The central junction box/fuse panel/GEM is all one module, here's a picture of where it is (borrowing from the keypad code finder Wiki page)

I took apart one of these units at the junkyard and took some pictures of the "guts". Not sure it helps, but here ya go:
http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c325/bea...PNPMarch09/GEM/

You have to remove those 3 gray metal clips on there, by removing the copper screws. Also need to remove the 3 nuts towards the bottom of the unit. You'll see the other bolt to remove once you pull the unit off, the bracket is bolted to the body of the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Based upon the ground comment, I checked all of the ground connections in the engine compartment and found a broken bolt on the inside of the left fender above the wheel well. Once I repaired this ground, everything works as expected. reinforces an old lesson that on 12 volt systems, ground are the more likely culprits. Thanks for the replies.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Good to see you found the problem. It was lucky that the problem ended up being visually evident so you didn't have to chase wiring trying to figure out what was going on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts