Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Taurus SEL w/ ABS. My problem is that the left brake light won't turn on when the I turn the headlight switch to the parking light or headlight positions, however it will turn on when I step on the brakes, use the left turn signal, or turn on the hazard lights. A few months ago I took the car in to the dealer for the brake switch/wire harness safety recall and everything worked fine for a few months. Any ideas what might be causing this problem? Could it have something to do with the safety recall?

Thanks.

G

·
If it didn't do that before, take it Back and Demand that they fix it.
afterall they did do some wire cutting with that recall.

·
Registered
359 Posts
This is going to sound odd, and I'm sure you have already checked it, but make sure all of your brake lights are properly seated. Way back in the day when I drove a Cavalier (I know... shuddup :lol2: ), I had a very strange problem with my brake lights and turn lights that occured suddenly and after endless searching and testing things, its turns out that one of my bulbs wasn't seated properly and was causing mass hysteria with my electrical system.

If that isn't the problem, I'd take it back to them. You weren't having that issue before. Someone probably did as poor job of cutting and splicing (like just wrapping wires together with electrical tape).

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Umm, just wondering, did you check the bulb? I just ask because you don't mention changing the bulb in your post. There's two light sources in the bulb. One comes on when you just have the headlights on and I think either the other or both comes on when you hit the brakes and do those other items. Sounds like just one of them is out. If it's not that then maybe it's time to go back there with a meter and see if you have power in that socket and trace it back...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, forgot to mention that I did swap out the bulb to see if that was the problem. I put a brand new bulb in but the low element still wouldn't turn on.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had a similar problem on another vehicle. Turned out the bulb was not grounded properly. Made it so that only one function of the twin filament bulb could work at a time because the circuit would ground somewhere else in the system by first passing through the other filament in the bulb. Check the bulb socket to ensure it is well grounded.

My guess would be that the tail light and the brake light use a separate filament in the same bulb on you vehicle.

·
Registered
66 Posts
this def does not sound like a bulb problem...if i was to guess it was either a lousy wiring job by the dealer on the recall or the light socket it self went bad.Most of these newer Fords have a tendency to go through light sockets for some strange reason(and of course you can only get them through OEM)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts