Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed something today when converting my sidemarker bulbs to LEDs from www.superbrightleds.com. I think when the lights are off, and the turn signal is on, the current flows in one direction through the sidemarkers when the flash on, and when the lights are on, it flows in the other direction. anyone ever put a meter on them? since normal filament bulbs work just fine with current in either direction, so they work fine whether the lights are on or off, but with LEDs, they are diodes, and only illuminate when current flows in a certain direction. hense the reason that they only work properly when the lights are on, and not when off. I don't really care since I never drive my car without the running lights on, no matter what time of day it is. but just an FYI for anyone wanting to do this, you'll have to change them back for your inspections!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Are these the 194's we're talking about here? If they are, try turning them around if you havent already. Some brands of LEDs require you to turn them around if they dont work one way. I have LEDs in my rear taillights and turn signals and never had a problem like that.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Myzery@Feb 4 2004, 10:35 PM
Are these the 194's we're talking about here? If they are, try turning them around if you havent already. Some brands of LEDs require you to turn them around if they dont work one way. I have LEDs in my rear taillights and turn signals and never had a problem like that.
well if I turn them around the don't work when I have my normal lights on. they are in there the right direction, then work just fine, flash just fine as long as the lights are on, but they don't flash if the turn signals are on when the lights are off. it kinda makes sense, you notice that when you use the turn signals with the lights off, they flash all together, but if the lights are on, the side markers flash in an alternating pattern with the front lights. its just the sidemarkers that are wired this way, the front and rear turn signals function normally whether the lights are on or off.
btw, which lights do you have in your main turn signals? do you like them? brighter or dimmer then the conventional bulbs? I'm thinking about doing them too, just haven't gotten around to it.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by mcgilles@Feb 4 2004, 11:15 PM
Some brands of LEDs require you to turn them around if they dont work one way.
all LEDs work that way, LED stands for Light Emitting Diode, a Diode is a device that allows current to flow in one direction, but not the other. hense all LEDs are directional or polarized. they will only work in one direction. its just the way LEDs are.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I use 3157LEDs in my brake lights (due to a socket mod), and 1156's in the seperate turn signals. THe LEds I used I found at autozone. I cant think of the brand name offhand, but if I find the package in my trunk, i'll let you know. These are the only LEDs I have had no problem with, and work with the lights on or off. I tried the APC 3157 LEDs but for some odd reason, APC came up with "Chevy Only" and "Ford Only" LEds. Let alone next to nobody sells the Ford ones. Blew out a few fuses with the chevy ones. I put them in, hit the brake, my door chime started ringing, then blew the fuse. I figured a 3157 is a 3157 in any car, but leave it to APC to complicate things.

As for the 194's, I havent used any in my car. Mostly the ones I find arent wide dispurtion LEDs, only narrow beam. I dont like having just little circles of light taking up a whole lens. Altho since my tail lenses are blacked out, during the day my brake lights look like big round dots. They are a bit brighter than regular bulbs being as if they look like the same brightness with the tails tinted as opposed to untinted tails with regular bulbs. During the night, however, they just about light up the whole lens. Looks pretty cool tho.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts