Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I saw this thread Ugly Fake Fenders and it had me thinking of doing something different to mine. I thought about doing some LEDs, maybe even integrate them into the turn signals, well I found something! Made by exLEDSHOP, looks perfect!! However it is $122!!!! No way am I paying that much for something that looks very simplistic.

Any ideas if I could simply buy that LED board elsewhere, or should I just do one up myself? I'm no pro at soldering but I could figure it out if need be lol. Also those replacement pieces look just like some plexi glass?? Maybe cloudy pieces?

Any input appreciated :)

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
One of the guys drilled out holes in his vents and installed a colored LED strip behind them, and they looked great. I think he paid around 20 bucks each for the LED strips and the wiring. I had considered using a Dremel tool and drilling out the indented areas in the black background of the vent and installing, but decided against it when I got the 2013 SHO vents, since they are different and don't really lend themselves to being drilled. It would take some time to drill out the indented areas but I think it would look really sharp once the LED's were installed behind it. Also the kit you are looking at has all the instructions in Japanese and are very hard to install unless you are a wiring guru.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of the guys drilled out holes in his vents and installed a colored LED strip behind them, and they looked great. I think he paid around 20 bucks each for the LED strips and the wiring. I had considered using a Dremel tool and drilling out the indented areas in the black background of the vent and installing, but decided against it when I got the 2013 SHO vents, since they are different and don't really lend themselves to being drilled. It would take some time to drill out the indented areas but I think it would look really sharp once the LED's were installed behind it. Also the kit you are looking at has all the instructions in Japanese and are very hard to install unless you are a wiring guru.
Oh really? I might have to just find that post then lol. I saw the 2013 SHO vents and man they look good. I would love to get a pair and put them on my car but it's not an SHO and I'm not about to start doing that crap hahaha. Yeah.. um a little rusty on my Japanese lol.

·
Don't Be Stupid
7,049 Posts
Do you need the dual color setup or no? I bought 5m of led waterproof white led strip from china for a good price. It doesn't have the dual color like the ones they have, but if you got some yell and white strip and alternated the strips, you could do the same. It requires a small bit of soldering to get what you want.
I use the stuff to backlight my TV wall. It's bright enough, but not overpowering.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you need the dual color setup or no? I bought 5m of led waterproof white led strip from china for a good price. It doesn't have the dual color like the ones they have, but if you got some yell and white strip and alternated the strips, you could do the same. It requires a small bit of soldering to get what you want.
I use the stuff to backlight my TV wall. It's bright enough, but not overpowering.
The dual color is not needed, I don't mind doing just the white and hooking it up to toggle or something similar. That does seem like something that would work! It is very bright and would probably work great! You think that is just some plexi glass they have pictured? I can cut my own no problem if it is.

·
Don't Be Stupid
7,049 Posts
Yeah, looks like frosted acrylic. You could probably go pretty good with some of that translucent glass paint to shade it right.
If it were me (I like to be difficult), I would get yellow and white strips and pattern them like:
White
Yellow
Yellow
White

And connect them through a small relay board. White on with park lamps, yellow on with turns, and white off with turns.

Oh, and don't get the 3528 strip, it's cheaper, but not as bright. Get the 5050 waterproof stuff. Runs off 12v, so you don't need a power supply.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, looks like frosted acrylic. You could probably go pretty good with some of that translucent glass paint to shade it right.
If it were me (I like to be difficult), I would get yellow and white strips and pattern them like:
White
Yellow
Yellow
White

And connect them through a small relay board. White on with park lamps, yellow on with turns, and white off with turns.

Oh, and don't get the 3528 strip, it's cheaper, but not as bright. Get the 5050 waterproof stuff. Runs off 12v, so you don't need a power supply.
That seems like a good idea. I didn't even know where I would start so the help is much appreciated! You don't think connecting into my stock wiring would cause any resistance issues on the wiring do you? I know replacing an actual halogen bulb with a LED bulb can run you into a few problems, but not sure when you just "add" in some LEDs lol. I'll have to google around to try and find some wiring schematics for the stock wiring.

·
Don't Be Stupid
7,049 Posts
It didnt on my '00 when I did my led mirrors, but it may. If so, you can use those load resistors to overcome it. (or a digital flasher)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not sure since this is such an old thread, but I’m looking to do something similar with an ‘08 Bull, although I know the fender louvres are a different shape than 2010+ Has anyone seen or done this with an 08-09?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Alright, so I saw this thread Ugly Fake Fenders and it had me thinking of doing something different to mine. I thought about doing some LEDs, maybe even integrate them into the turn signals, well I found something! Made by exLEDSHOP, looks perfect!! However it is $122!!!! No way am I paying that much for something that looks very simplistic.

Any ideas if I could simply buy that LED board elsewhere, or should I just do one up myself? I'm no pro at soldering but I could figure it out if need be lol. Also those replacement pieces look just like some plexi glass?? Maybe cloudy pieces?

Any input appreciated :)
I did it. Total cost: $7. https://www.taurusclub.com/threads/fender-emblem-mounted-turn-signal-lights.351933/#post-3470499

1 - 11 of 11 Posts