Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had these put in earlier today. I got the idea from someone else who put them along their headlights on a Gen 4(sorry forget the username). I thought it would look dumb around round headlights so this is what I came up with. I like it!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Pretty bright!

Almost like underglow. :D

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both Pictures you are seeing are at dark with no flash. The middle one was with flash. I can probably have another daytime one up tomorrow

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
well im overly tired.... i meant with a flash so we can see the light itself rather than the glow. sorry.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have lost motivation to go back outside tonight lol. Maybe tomorrow. I have the Sylvania Ultra bulbs as well. I think it would look a little better with the HID headlights, but too expensive for me to replace the lens and everything to make it look good

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
I put a pair of $52 hids in my girls cobalt with a halogen high beam and slim ballasts, 4300k in color they are great!! Hids arent that much!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was told you had to replace the stock lens otherwise they just scatter. There was a LONG discussion on another forum I started which eventually led to my purchasing the Sylvania bulbs. I think it was titled Aftermarket Headlight Bulbs

·
Registered
374 Posts
I'd imagine this would be a pretty ****** up sight to see at night when your stoned.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well after driving around at night and getting people staring at my car(I don't know if its good or bad lol), I think I am going to upgrade to the HID kit and get one with just a hint of blue. That is what the strips seem to be so I want them to match. I'll keep the stock lens, just clean them and see what happens

·
Registered
294 Posts
Everything negative people tell you about hids is bullshit. Yes it scatters but only at the end of the beam. They improve visibility dramatically. Yes technically you should put a projector in the housing so its proper and evenly spreads the beam. And when people tell u it blinds other people, that's when a moron put it in. If you aim them all wrong u will blind people like any headlights. Also the more blue they are, the more it can distract idiots who can't focus on the road. Personally I never get blinded or distracted by them cuz I can control my brain. I get blinded more often by trucks with higher up set lights that aim right in the mirror. People that hate on hids are usually uneducated in the lights themselves.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Everything negative people tell you about hids is bullshit. Yes it scatters but only at the end of the beam. They improve visibility dramatically. Yes technically you should put a projector in the housing so its proper and evenly spreads the beam. And when people tell u it blinds other people, that's when a moron put it in. If you aim them all wrong u will blind people like any headlights. Also the more blue they are, the more it can distract idiots who can't focus on the road. Personally I never get blinded or distracted by them cuz I can control my brain. I get blinded more often by trucks with higher up set lights that aim right in the mirror. People that hate on hids are usually uneducated in the lights themselves.

too many old school guys here, we will never win this argument.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would prefer to keep the opinions on HID lights off this post. As S2Knott said, why stir it up again? If others would like to see the whole forum, it can be found here: http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/117...isual/164363-aftermarket-headlight-bulbs.html

I'll give my opinion once I install them and compare them with the Sylvania ones I already have. Speaking of which, if anyone would like that pair I have, I can mail them out if you are willing to shoot me $35 through Paypal. PM me for info. I will have used them MAYBE 5 hours by the time I get the money for the HID's

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Well after driving around at night and getting people staring at my car(I don't know if its good or bad lol), I think I am going to upgrade to the HID kit and get one with just a hint of blue. That is what the strips seem to be so I want them to match. I'll keep the stock lens, just clean them and see what happens
Looks good so don't take my comments as being a ****. Id like to suggest you wire them up so that they come on/off when you open/close the doors. I know its not under glow but, driving around with it on isnt a good thing. You'll experience an "Unapproved Equipment" ticket, which is $250 on your first offense. I received this ticket for just having them LED windsheild washers. (lol got them for Christmas one year) Anyways like I said I'm just trying to help you out.

This is what I mean:

Oh and don't worry about that blueish driver side light in that vid lol. My Ballast was going out at the time.

Get 8000k. That's white with a hint of blue. 6000 k is straight white
Technically this is where you loose the "old school" people. 4000k-4300k is pure white, which is usually what stock HIDs are. It is a common misconception that higher color temperature produce brighter lights. which simply isn't true at all. The color temperature only determines the color but not the brightness of the HID light.

There is no "hint" of crap, 8000k is blue. Granted 8000k isn't as bad as 12k but yeah. I'm not trying to debate plug n play kits vs retrofiting, just correcting your statement.

8000k vs 4300k

·
Registered
260 Posts
Ehh, I've used 8000K - 3000K and I'd say it was more like:
8000K: Very noticeable blue tint
6000K: Majority white with slight blue tint (like a cool white color)
5000K: Closest to a pure white as you can get
4300K: Majority white with yellowish tint (looks like warm white or very bright halogen)
3000K: Yea, yellow...

EDIT: all based of color off a 35w ballast, my 55w ballasts bring the color temp down a bit.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
After having every hid color from 36,000 green to 3,000 k yellow, my favorite by far is either 35w 6000k or what i have in my projectors 55w 8000k because they have less color than 35w 8000s but a bit more than the 6000ks

·
Registered
294 Posts
there is no blue whatsoever in 6000k. it is a pure white as you can get. lower than that adds more yellow as you go down. higher adds blue and into purple and green and such. OH boy would I love to have green. but its ridiculously illegal. lime green is my favorite color. and yes I understand that theres not "hint" of anything. yes 8000k is blue. its called "iceberg blue" but its so light blue, that its the same color as a "cool white" LED bulb. so techincally its cool white, which has a blueish tint. but 12k is like f***in cop light blue. which has terrible visibility, and you will get pulled over for. they let 8000k slide usually.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts