Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy. I've been contemplating doing some led upgrades to my '06. I know its been asked a few times but a lot of those threads are old, or from people who, frankly, should be messing with their own lights :p
I know there's issues of DOT legality and performance in fixtures made for incandescent. Most major stores only seem to stock Sylvania, which, from what I understand, only the red bulbs are approved so far, and I've read that the pattern ain't great either. I know "best" can very car by car, fixture by fixture, so I thought I'd ask the people that know this car.
Here's my goal:
Get rid of the ugly orange reflection behind the front lense during the day
Brighten up the back-up lights (figure blinding other's shouldn't be much of a concern for those)
Whiten, not brighten, the puddle lamps and license lights (yellow doesn't go great against Silver Frost)
Might as well do the brakes so they match the spoiler.

Also, I just bought some IPCW tails. Don't know how much of a difference those are gonna make, the description does specify incandes s-l500.jpg cent.

Whoa, when did word wrapping around images become a thing?

·
Super Moderator
8,008 Posts
The only legality issues are with LED headlight bulbs in Halogen housings. The law doesnt care if you switch to LED turn signal / brake lights, marker lights, backup lights, etc.

With that said, I have had LED headlights, marker lights, stop/turn lights, etc etc in all of our 5 cars for years with zero issues. All I did was aim the headlights down around 5 degrees. Never been flashed, and never been pulled over.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another thing I forgot to add...turn signal relays. I know my store has them inline resistors, and ive read about replacement relays made for LED, but how would I find one that's factory fit?

·
Super Moderator
8,008 Posts
I did have to add resistors for front / rear turn in the 05 SEL Tec and 06 SE Vulcan to fool the SJB so it doesnt think a bulb is out and triggers the hyperflash. On all my old crap, I just replaced the stock turn signal flashers with an LED compatible flashers.

I got the stop / turn / marker LEDs from Diode Dynamics. Very pricey, but USA made / designed and they basically never fail.

For headlights, I went with units from Ebay. around $20 for 2 bulbs (9004 and 9007). I bought extras and keep them in the trunks of the cars in case they fail on a road trip. So far no failures on the Ebay units, but I do 98% of my driving during daylight hours.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The flasher replacement didn't work for the '06? Is there like, extra stuff in the SJB's logic that controls that?

That said I just picked up some Philips Ultinon, and am going to get some Zevos for the red, I think my new tailights will like a rearward firing bulb. I'll let yall know how bad or not they are once they're set up.

As a side, there's an extra, unused lense in the Crystal Eyes, kinda like the supposed unused turn signals on the factory. Figured id turn it into something but its gotta be a small bulb. You think a 921 bulb would be sufficient for a turn signal, or even just an extra tail marker?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts