Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying LEDs for the rear of my car. brakes, reverse, and turn signals. Does anyone have any advice?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Personally, I don't like them. The light comes out in a straight beam, doesn't scatter all over.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These ones have the additional LEDs that shine out the sides, so it shines all over, not just in a beam. There is a reflective surface inside the housing, correct???

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
These ones have the additional LEDs that shine out the sides, so it shines all over, not just in a beam. There is a reflective surface inside the housing, correct???
[/b]
I think so.

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
[/b]
Right, but the LEDs still emit in a straight line, so it's beams that will look scattered from far away.

I dunno. They'll look fine, but dimmer I think. As I said, Cheeto had LED tail lights. The ones that had 80-ish LEDs apiece on them and they still didn't look as bright as regular bulbs.

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
I tried LED tails once... just like in your pics there. Red LEDs for red lenses. At night it was so dim it looked like there was something wrong with the wiring or it was a standard bulb that fell out of the housing. It wasn't visible at all in daylight. If you got right up on it and cupped your hands around the lens you could tell there was something flashing in it. I returned the bulbs and got my money back.

Take it as you will, but the only way I'd recommend LEDs is if it's one of those custom panels that fills up the whole lens with about 100 LEDs. Those bulbs in the pics will probably be a waste of money and you won't be happy with the results.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I tried LED tails once... just like in your pics there. Red LEDs for red lenses. At night it was so dim it looked like there was something wrong with the wiring or it was a standard bulb that fell out of the housing. It wasn't visible at all in daylight. If you got right up on it and cupped your hands around the lens you could tell there was something flashing in it. I returned the bulbs and got my money back.

Take it as you will, but the only way I'd recommend LEDs is if it's one of those custom panels that fills up the whole lens with about 100 LEDs. Those bulbs in the pics will probably be a waste of money and you won't be happy with the results.
[/b]
Totally agree. Never tried them in a bull, but they look horrible in a Forester. I sold mine about a week after getting them, had the exact same issues.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, thanks everybody! :)

·
Premium Member
310 Posts

[/b]
I had exactly the same problem. When I returned mine the sales guy told me that the LEDs are designed more so for cars with clear tail lights -not red ones, like that Lexus SUV with the clear tail lights. But yeah, I got my money back.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
The g35s have led taillights. their in a circle pattern and ight up REALLY bright. It's something I was thinking about having done by the same person who did my HID lights. He says he has to make the led panel and put the lights in it, custom stlye. But they don't use 100 lights or anything like that. The leds lights you guys are buying must be some really cheap ones or something. Just go to HIDplanet and they have a section all about LEDs. And they are a really good option but cost some moeny to get customized to fit your car (just like the HIDs).

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The g35s have led taillights. their in a circle pattern and ight up REALLY bright. It's something I was thinking about having done by the same person who did my HID lights. He says he has to make the led panel and put the lights in it, custom stlye. But they don't use 100 lights or anything like that. The leds lights you guys are buying must be some really cheap ones or something. Just go to HIDplanet and they have a section all about LEDs. And they are a really good option but cost some moeny to get customized to fit your car (just like the HIDs).
[/b]
where are the leds? I couldn't find them.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
My LEDs seem to work quite well. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My LEDs seem to work quite well. :dunno:
[/b]
could you post a pic of yours lighted up?

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Give me a few days. I'll be out of town till after Christmas. :)

EDIT: Found an old vid that shoes the lights in action, at night. Not a very good example, but I guess it works (in showing the lights are visible). I'll get pics/better vids later.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Those look great, but in my experience, they are too dim during the day. My buddy tried to use these as turn signals, it wasn't bright enough.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Give me a few days. I'll be out of town till after Christmas. :)

EDIT: Found an old vid that shoes the lights in action, at night. Not a very good example, but I guess it works (in showing the lights are visible). I'll get pics/better vids later.

[/b]
wow those are definitely brighhter than my stock lights... where did you get them, how much, and do you know how many of the little LED lights are on each bulb??

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
I've had no complaints about them during the day. Are y'all running a resistor/relay setup, or do you use electronic flashers? I can see how they might be too dim if only a resistor was used, without a relay.

autolumination.com. $25 per side. 20 diodes in each "tower".

1 - 20 of 23 Posts