Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to replace all my bulbs with LED's What bulds do I need and where is the best place to get them?

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I would say that the best place to get them would be www.lsdiodes.com

Other than that, I really can't tell you what you would need to buy. I know that a few people in the club have done the conversion. Start with the search page and see what you can find.

JR

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
May want to search the archives, I think Racer X did a good write-up on it.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Which bulbs do you want to replace to do your mods?

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Dont no what bulbs you are looking to replace...but I know on my '96 LX installing LED lights in place of regular bulbs for the brake lights illuminates my "rear lamp out" light :angry:

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would like to replace them all if I can.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just curious, how did you go about replace your tail lamps with LED's. As far as the 'tail lamp out' light, the easiest thing to do would probably be to check the resistance of the OE bulb, then check the resistance of the LED assembly, and increase the resistance to that of OE. However, this may dim the whole assembly, so it may not be worth it.

As far as replacing the rest of the lights, there is a write up on how to do the gauges and radio lights on Gen 2's (and 1's?) The radio lights in Gen 3's are unservicable I believe. The inside lights could be a little tricky, but a little creative thinking should provide a plan. Good luck and please, post pictures!
~~Maverick~~

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Well all I know in the Gen.3 Taurus/Sable the type of bulbs that goes in the instrument panel are 194 and a smaller bulb which its the 74 which you could you could replace with better bulbs which are brighter. But in the Stock radio unit they can be changeable since the radio has an iluminated sheet panel so it has no bulbs. You could change the stock orange color in the windows swtiches which I think some people here have done it, I think Brad did to his car (Baby SHO). I think the other Gen. have the same bulbs but you could change the stock radio bulbs if it has some. You could buy the LED bulbs at eBay really cheap.

Frank

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, I need to get 194 and 74, well the LED's to replace them. I'm not worried about the stereo ones. Do they make them that you can just replace?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Based on the Sylvania website, and cross refence on the SuperBrightLED site, I need the 3157 LEDs (Gen3), is that right?

Do they just replace the normal bulbs, no problems, nothing extra, just a quick and easy swap?

Has anyone here used the SuperBright's LEDs? What do you think?

Are they much brighter? I ask because I plan on blacking out the front and rear light assemblies, and would want to replace the bulbs with brighter ones so the cops don't hassle me.

???

Thanks,

lllsynthtaxlll

·
Registered
790 Posts
If you're going to replace any of your front lights with LED's you need to check your state's statutes for laws regarding color, and whether you can do that at all.

As for a how to.... i can walk you through installing LED's in your headlights and turn signals...

You also need to think of how you want them distributed and powered.... i put three LED's each in my turn sigs, and i can turn them off with a switch (in case the cops do a double take).... do you want your LED's clustered and maybe in a reflector for a directional glow, or do you want it like mine, where theres just a diffused color glow?

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok I took my dash apart today to see how many bulbs I would need. I did mine by color of the lense in front of it. it is right from Superbrite.

Quantity Product Price Options Subtotal
5 WLED-B Blue LED bulb $ 1.49 $ 7.45
5 74 LED bulb $ 1.19 Amber $ 5.95
5 74 LED bulb $ 1.19 Red $ 5.95
3 74 LED bulb $ 1.19 Green $ 3.57
1 74 LED bulb $ 1.19 Blue $ 1.19

Subtotal: $ 24.11
Shipping: $ 5.00
Grand Total: $ 29.11

I don't think that is too bad of a price.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts