Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's involved in putting LED brake lights on a 2004 Taurus? I'm interested in it as a safety improvement (LEDs light up more quickly than incandescent bulbs). But I know many cars monitor the current through the brake light, and an LED might make the computer think something's wrong. Experiences, anyone?

·
Registered
610 Posts
What's involved in putting LED brake lights on a 2004 Taurus? I'm interested in it as a safety improvement (LEDs light up more quickly than incandescent bulbs). But I know many cars monitor the current through the brake light, and an LED might make the computer think something's wrong. Experiences, anyone?
I know that some LED's come with like a resistor or something to make them work properly with a taillight circuit. But I couldn't tell you any more than that. Tuned for responses though, I'm considering this myself.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
Incandecent automotive bulbs take 17 milliseconds to come to full brightness (dont ask me how I know this), while LEDS, are, of course, virtually instant on. At 60 mph (88 ft/s), the LEDs will give the driver in back of you 1.5 feet more to stop assuming he doesent see the incadecent bulbs until the hit full brightness. At 25 mph, the driver in back of you gets an extra 7.5 inches of warning. A safety improvement? Yes. A significant safety improvement??????

Your turn signals will flash rapidly (the factory bulb out warning) unless you use a resistor to mimic the amp draw of the regular bulbs. Be careful where you mount the resistor, as it will get HOT (~1.5 A @ 14 V = 21 Watts) with continuous brake application, sush as stopped dead in heavy traffic.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Keep in mind that your brake light bulbs also are a part of the shift-interlock system and can cause it to malfunction, which means you can take the car out of park WITHOUT pressing on the brake. Check out the related Recall

Also I have attached a TSB on cruise control issues (LED Brake lights can cause issues as well)

Troy.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Incandecent automotive bulbs take 17 milliseconds to come to full brightness (dont ask me how I know this), while LEDS, are, of course, virtually instant on. At 60 mph (88 ft/s), the LEDs will give the driver in back of you 1.5 feet more to stop assuming he doesent see the incadecent bulbs until the hit full brightness. At 25 mph, the driver in back of you gets an extra 7.5 inches of warning. A safety improvement? Yes. A significant safety improvement??????

Your turn signals will flash rapidly (the factory bulb out warning) unless you use a resistor to mimic the amp draw of the regular bulbs. Be careful where you mount the resistor, as it will get HOT (~1.5 A @ 14 V = 21 Watts) with continuous brake application, sush as stopped dead in heavy traffic.
Where do you get the 17 millisecond figure? I saw 500 milliseconds somewhere else (which seems to agree with which I observe with headlights and other relatively large automotive bulbs; not sure about brake lights).

I'm well aware of the resistance (current) issue and was hoping someone was marketing a ready-made solution. Sounds like they're not.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
MMmmmmm.... SPAM it's whats for dinner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts