Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Sable guys,

Im thinking on doing a LED Mod on the Sable. Since I got the NightShade on the Sable, the regular amber lights aren't cutting it for me. I wanna go LED. So, my plan is this...

Buy Trailer LEDs. Rip it apart.

Rip apart the Tail Lamp Assembly.

Add the LEDs in the assembly, mount them on, wire it just right....

and see how it goes.

Think this is possible. Just an idea I came up with 5 mins ago. What do you guys think?

SableSal

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Have you thought about using those LED replacement bulbs? Some of them can be pretty bright considering they can mount up to 12 LED's on a single 3157 bulb (what most rear taillights are)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, but they leave this Terminator (red dot) look to the tails. I dont like that... so... Plan B.

Also I noticed that the rear tails, you can not seperate the red lenses from the black backing.

Has anyone ever tried this? Let me know

SableSal

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I think it sounds like a great idea. I love the way the LEDs look on the newer Caddys. But you might need a lot of LEDs to make it similar to a Caddy.

Maybe you could try separating the lense from teh backing by putting it in an oven. I've heard that's one way to remove the lense on G4 headlights.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the rears look more sealed though, I might think on getting a used one off of eBay to further my hypothesis, but not too sure

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Yeah, you will need to heat the tail light housings in an oven to split the adhesive.

If you have a soldering iron, just buy some breadboard and LEDs, and make the lights yourself. There are calculators online to determine what size resistor to use with a set amount of LEDs.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I think the whole thing would look awesome, but for convenience's sake, I would just go with pre-made bulbs, even if they do give the "terminator" look.

Good idea!

JR

1 - 7 of 7 Posts