Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I made a post a few weeks ago about what I thought was a leaky transmission pan. I could not pin point the cause but since the car wont be going on the road for another month i can only warm it up and drive it around on my 500 foot driveway at 20 mph...

the plan was to take it to amacoo and they would look at my pan and gasket for free and change it for 110 dollars ....

i did tighten up the bolts a few weeks ago on the pan and it seemed to work. I also cleaed up the tranny pan and engine so I can pin point any leaks ...

Well today I got down and I see that it looks like the fluid is comming from up top and dripping down around the pan..

I cant see where it is but I looked at my transmission dip stick and it was I think out half a inch and the dip stick had tranny fluid going right up it ....

I then did a search here and I see that many people have had problems with a tranny vent.......causing the dipstick to come out....

so I looked in the topic finder to see what Im looking for and I just cant see any pictures ....

is there a TSB? a how to with pictures ?

I can change spark plugs, fuel filters and belts myself so is this something I could take on ?....

Thanks I hope this is a cheap easy fix and maybe my pan and gasket are ok....

I have a 2003 vulcan ax4n shifter on the floor

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
i cant remember who has the pic on here but they are around somewhere. this job is as about as easy as changing an air filter. pull the vent and check for a clog. no clog reinstall by pushing it all the way in. then pull it up slightly till you feel it click into the retainer. if its pushed in to far it acts like a clog. then make sure your dip stick is seat properly. if i come across the pics i will copy the link for you. or maybe the member with the pics will show up.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Tranny vent is right next to TRS on my 05. Mine is covered with a black rubber cap. The vent itself is about 1" tall. You cannot miss it because there isn't a thing that resembles it in the vicinity.

·
Registered
23,350 Posts
^ Def. check the black cap first. Push it all the way down, and then pull it back 1 click as Bigdogg suggested. Rickpark is the author of the atf vent tutorial. Iirc, its in the topic finder and/or wiki.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tranny

well i found that black cap... it was not pushed down.... but i just did a reset of it ...

if i pull that plug do you see a visible plug in the brass part ???

im going to call ford tmrow and find out how much that L shape part with the tube costs ....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts