Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
94 GL 3.8L

New fuel pump, strainer and filter.

When I turn the ignition on, I get like 5 lbs of pressure, and it doesn't hold. Turn the ignition like 3-4 times, and it goes up to 18 lbs, and doesn't hold pressure. Tested at the Schrader valve.

Also hard to start, have to crank it about 3-4 times to get it to start; then runs OK, but when engine is warm there's a noticeable loss of performance.

Return line to tank is clear (blew it out with air pressure).

Funky ignition switch; DEFINITELY needs to be replaced; key and tabs do not turn in sync (related?).

Thanks!

·
Registered
619 Posts
More likely a blown regulator. Block return line from rail and see if your pressure goes up. You may also find gas in the vacuum line from the regulator.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
How do I block the return line?

PO says he changed that regulator recently (I know; it doesn't mean it can't be bad; a wise man once told me "Look at the last thing you replaced first, that's where you will usually find the problem"). BTW, it's the silver little canister looking thing on the front rail with the vacuum line hooked to it, right?

TX!

BTW; there doesn't seem to be any gas present at the regulator; at least where the vacuum line enters...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I found a way to plug the return line. Still the same exact problem; no decent pressure buildup.

I also 'tested' the regulator by taking it off, putting pressure to the 'high' side, and nothing came through the bypass. I then applied a little vacuum (modesty prevents me from saying 'how' I did that), and then the bypass outlet became noisy and air was coming out of there.

So it's not the regulator.

Could I have pressure but just don't know it cause the Schrader valve is misfunctioning? How do I remove it?

Next, I guess I will test pressure coming out of the tank, unless someone has a better idea!

HELP!

Please weigh in....

·
Registered
619 Posts
You can get the tool to remove the valve in the tire repair section. Fuel pump 'could' have a bad check valve in it also.

·
Registered
587 Posts
have the injector Ben remove in the past for service causing this problem ?

if so put the fuel pressure gague back on on and take a wrench and a small hammer or similar. then tap on the fuel injector making sure the pintle has seated right. the pintle is the part on the injector that can be pushed in on the lips of the head causing fuel to spew out constantly. just tap around the injector lightly with like a screw driver and a hammer or similar. this is how i did it on the fiero. if all of a sudden the fuel pressure rises after this do not do step two. that mean it is fixed

step two pull the fuel rail and to add new gaskets. put the injectors into Dixie cups and turn the ignition to run but do not turn it over. so fuel pump primes. if one fills up that is the leak. replace then add new gaskets like upper intake gasket. wile in Dixie cup make sure there not sitting on the pintle it will mess up what your doing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
have the injector Ben remove in the past for service causing this problem ?

if so put the fuel pressure gague back on on and take a wrench and a small hammer or similar. then tap on the fuel injector making sure the pintle has seated right. the pintle is the part on the injector that can be pushed in on the lips of the head causing fuel to spew out constantly. just tap around the injector lightly with like a screw driver and a hammer or similar. this is how i did it on the fiero. if all of a sudden the fuel pressure rises after this do not do step two. that mean it is fixed

step two pull the fuel rail and to add new gaskets. put the injectors into Dixie cups and turn the ignition to run but do not turn it over. so fuel pump primes. if one fills up that is the leak. replace then add new gaskets like upper intake gasket. wile in Dixie cup make sure there not sitting on the pintle it will mess up what your doing.

Step two worked! I found the leaky injector and are now waiting for a replacement. Thanks dude!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts