Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I go to get my oil changed today, they come out saying my drivers side axle is leaking, wtf, he told me its about 200-250 to replace or get it fixed, what should I do, just wait a little and talk to my mechanic or what? I need some opinions...thanks guys

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Hop under the car and feel the inside of the wheel...if you pull any CV axle grease out then you've got a problem and the axle needs to be replaced. As for 250, that sounds a bit ridiculous, I'd ask a few shops how much they'd charge.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
that is eather way cheap or the mechanic is doing it the cheap way.

usaly when the boots go bad the axels have to be pulled to replace the boots.

cheater & vastly inferior boots can be installed insted of hte correct boots BUT they will not last that long.
the cheater boots wrap around the cv joint and will not make a complete seal. That will alow mudd and what ever else to get to the joint and destroy it.

the better way is to rebuild or replace the axels. but it will be more $

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Originally posted by crackhead@Dec 9 2003, 09:32 PM
that is eather way cheap or the mechanic is doing it the cheap way.
Cheap? The last time I had an axle replaced by someone, it ran me all of $150.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
is that including labor? and both axels? why replace 1 to have the other side go bad next week?

when i looked at the prices it was $50 per axel so with about 3 hrs labor to tear appart the front end it shoudl be about $300 ( with aligment)

then the mechanics will probly find that your tie rod ends need to be replaced after 100k+ miles, it will add up quick bc everything dies prettmuch at the same time.

B

·
0 Posts
First off, because one side is bad, it doesn't make the other bad as well, or mean it's on its way out.

Reman CV axle from Autozone and others--$70, labor should be about 2 hours to replace. IMO, if the boot's already ripped, and you don't know how long it's been like that, you'll need to replace the axle.

I'm moving this to maintenance also, to get more views.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts