Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a 95 taurus 3.0

I just got done replacing the waterpump and putting it back together. After looking at it further it looks as it is leaking on the lower left corner behind the waterpump. What eles is back there to leak? seems about 3-4 inches behind the face of the waterpump. Any sugestions would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Timing chain cover, it's the 2" thick aluminum piece that the water pump bolts to. They can corrode through the water jacket. They can also pull away from the block, while removing the water pump. I have seen both.

(this is rudedog)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (Call_Me_Crazy @ May 4 2009, 07:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=722875
Timing chain cover, it's the 2" thick aluminum piece that the water pump bolts to. They can corrode through the water jacket. They can also pull away from the block, while removing the water pump. I have seen both.

(this is rudedog)[/b]
it was definatley leaking in that spot before. I just thought it was the corner of the waterpump. How hard is it to replace that cover and gasket?

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Not too hard really, all the acessories have to come off as well as a few of the front oil pan bolts. A few hours work.

(rudedog)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is it possible to simply drain the antifreeze, remove that lower left bolt, juice it up with some sealer, and replace the bolt? I know several of the bolts on the 3.0 Vulcan need to be sealed.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Going halfway will yield half-baked results. If the timing cover gasket is leaking, all sorts of fun things can happen to your engine if it isn't fixed properly.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've also a coolant leak on my Vulcan. Looks like it's where exhaust collector meets the block on the side where thermostat is located. But it's not a thermostat or a seal under it. How bad is that? Does it have to be fixed right away or is it possible to drive like that? Level of coolant does not go down in the expansion tank.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Good idea to properly repair the issue, coolant in the oil will destroy rod bearings, along with other fun stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts