Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Seems to me the expansion tank is bypassed with some kind of contraption.

The hose in the upper left of the video should go straight into the expansion tank.

This is what is looks like in my 2000 Vulcan engine:

Expansion-Tank.jpg

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Yeah, that's a duratec reservoir. There's nothing wrong with using it really, other than it doesn't fit quite the same because of the hose routing being off. But damn, that's one rusty cooling system. Needs to be flushed ASAP.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will flush the system asap and if I'm using the wrong reservoir, where should I get the correct one? RockAuto?

Also, what coolant do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
73 Posts
While you are at it, you might also check the radiator plug (at the bottom of the radiator on the left). The original one is a plug you need to take out with a Torx 50 bit. Clumsy. Rockauto has a "Radiator Drain Petcock". You can simply open and close it by hand.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I'm curious...even though I'm using the wrong reservoir, does it really make a difference in the flow/performance?

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
So I'm curious...even though I'm using the wrong reservoir, does it really make a difference in the flow/performance?
It is just plumbing but needs to handle over 16# pressure. Also see that you have the re-designed cap as opposed to OE caps that fail. See pic of leaking one. Tests good but it leaks. New cap and still going fine. Also had Lincoln fail total dump of coolant. Same bad OE cap design.

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 Ford Taurus SE
29 Posts
I hope that the readers aren't offended, they obviously have not watched the short (only 3 seconds long) video showing the leaking hose. I know they are trying to be helpful, but none of them has answered the question that you are asking. Please people, stick to the question, and not send the OP down a rabbit trail.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It looks like a very simple 3 minute fix with a little piece of hose and/or tube for under $5. I'm guessing you aren't a mechanic so I'd recommend driving it to O'Reilleys or whatever auto parts store and showing it to an employee and they'll have what you need. That's assuming it's drivable. If not, take disconnect the pieces from the car and take it to them. And no, you don't need a new tank or a petcock or anything else, unless you're into fixing up cars.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There's mention of caps in this thread. I decided to switch to the original reservoir and it came with the black cap in the picture. Should I use the existing white one?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts