Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took out my old battery and put it on the rear interior carpet. It has been a few weeks and now the carpet it soaked. It's not clear from where the battery leaked. Any thoughts on what exactly lleaed, is it dangerous, and how I shouldclean it up?

·
Administrator
14,969 Posts
Liberally cover the spill with baking soda and let it sit for a couple of hours. If it's damp when you clean it up do it again. If it has soaked through the carpet, it has already started eating at the floor and you will have to pull up the rug and treat the floor.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
If it is truly acid that leaked out then it is extremely dangerous. Depending on you experience on dealing with acid you should wear goggles to protect your eye and heavy rubber gloves. Make sure doors are open because a lot of CO2 is generated as you add baking soda. Neutralize acid with baking soda rinse and add more baking soda. Be careful puliing carpet AFTER you neutralized the acid because it will ruin anything it touches if if it has any acid left. Can't remember if the rear foot area has a rubber drain plug to remove and hose out the floor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The strange thing is that the carpet it totally soaked but it still looks very clean, as if it's just water. I also don't smell any fumes.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
The strange thing is that the carpet it totally soaked but it still looks very clean, as if it's just water. I also don't smell any fumes.

Sprinkle some baking soda on the wet spot and if it fizzes then it's acid if not it maybe water from rusted out floor pan. The battery being heavy would cause the water to push into carpet.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think you are on to something and that is no smell of fumes. I am surprised you do nt have a moldy or musty smell with water. Have you smelled the carpet from a close distance. You need to remove and see what is underneath and where the water ingress is coming from or you will not have a floor-board at some point. Could have a leak from the door that when it rains or you wash the car that settles at the bottom of the floorboard as well. Could be a problem with the water shield in the door.
Tom in Plano.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts