Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone experience this problem and what are the solutions. This is a 2000 taurus. Can you fix this by replacing the gaskets. Where can i find the torque measurements for the bolts. I was told there is a tube coming out of the water pump which can be leaking, where to you find this tube. Any pictures

thanks
ronniehuntsville

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Has anyone experience this problem and what are the solutions. This is a 2000 taurus. Can you fix this by replacing the gaskets. Where can i find the torque measurements for the bolts. I was told there is a tube coming out of the water pump which can be leaking, where to you find this tube. Any pictures

thanks
ronniehuntsville
The timing cover leak on a Vulcan seems somewhat common. Look around cylinder head on the back, near the water pump. You can replace the gaskets generally, unless it's like really badly corroded or something, not likely. You need the tools to remove the crank pulley and such.

·
Registered
72 Posts
On a vulcan, the waterpump is mounted on top of the timing chain cover. The water pump has two outlets that discharge into ports through the timing chain cover and into the engine block. So yes, the gasket between the timing chain cover and the engine block can leak coolant.

This same gasket blew on my 2001 wagon a couple of months ago. Can be difficult to spot because of the alternator and power steering pump blocks the view. I had to take all that stuff out of the way and then pressurize the coolant system in order to verify

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Leaking around timing chain cover reply

Thanks all Yes it is water,

question:

When you remove the crank pulley, are there any concerns about engine rotating or is the engine locked and should not turn when i remove the 4 small bolts in the crank pulley and then the big one center bolt in the middle of the harmonic balancer.

My concerns is that center bolt. When i put a impact wrench on it. Once i remove the pulley bolts will the pulley just come off. I just want to make sure i remove the right bolts at the right time.

I do have a repair manual but it does not mention the center bolt removal process. Can someone tell me the exact step when dealing with the crank pulley on that 2000 ohv engine.

Thanks a bunch

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.