Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So anyway, I don't have a truck anymore and I just started work up here as an electrician. To drive 17miles to the hall is a pain, especially when the construction site is only miles from where I live. I've been hitching a ride after I drive her to the hall though.

So as of tomorrow I will drive her there. It's muddy as hell, chalk full of clay and cement and every other kind of mud you can swim in. My friend drove a minivan through it, my little girl should be able to make it!

I traced my trunkliner on a huge sheet of cardboard then laid it inside the trunk. It works pretty good for all my damn tools lol.

Im debating getting a truck though. Of course I wont sell my car, but a Ranger or F150 again would be very nice. I want to find an old beater truck from the 90's or '00s so I won't feel bad for messing it up. I'm just worried about gas prices, mpg's being worse, any repair issues with an old vehicle, insurance on top of it, and even tires...but I really need one.

But if anyone knows how OCD I am about keeping my car clean, you should know that this kills me to driver her like this. :lol2:

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Pick up a Toyota Tacoma. I had 2 of them(96 and a 02) with the 2.4L 4cyl. Gas was pretty good for being a truck, pleanty of room, and fun if you had a 5 speed. They moved nicely

·
Former Moderpony
1,215 Posts
I would think a van such as an Astro or Caravan CV or Uplander cargo would work better. You don't want your tools stolen, and you can be inside the vehicle in poor weather while you grab what you need.

Astros especially are cheap, plentiful, and for the most part reliable. As I currently own my second, I may be biased :D

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
I would think a van such as an Astro or Caravan CV or Uplander cargo would work better. You don't want your tools stolen, and you can be inside the vehicle in poor weather while you grab what you need.

Astros especially are cheap, plentiful, and for the most part reliable. As I currently own my second, I may be biased :D
Astro is mostly S-10 running gear under it, I logged 180k on my S-10 before a major repair came up. I'll second ya on that.

·
Former Moderpony
1,215 Posts
Astro is mostly S-10 running gear under it, I logged 180k on my S-10 before a major repair came up. I'll second ya on that.
Actually most of the running gear pre-2003 was borrowed from the Caprice. The engine and transmissions were S-10 though. It was a strange mix of vehicles. The fuel pumps tend to be the only major sore point with them, and that goes for GM trucks in general.

You may also expect the usual GM interior quality:rolleyes2:

If you look hard enough you could even find one of the "Iron Duke" (2.5L I4) equipped vans. Might get better mileage. Granted, once you loaded it up with tools it wouldn't be able to move under its own power...:lol2:

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Actually most of the running gear pre-2003 was borrowed from the Caprice. The engine and transmissions were S-10 though. It was a strange mix of vehicles. The fuel pumps tend to be the only major sore point with them, and that goes for GM trucks in general.

You may also expect the usual GM interior quality:rolleyes2:

If you look hard enough you could even find one of the "Iron Duke" (2.5L I4) equipped vans. Might get better mileage. Granted, once you loaded it up with tools it wouldn't be able to move under its own power...:lol2:
Dont forget about the "spider Injector" setup that commonly fails as well. It's not a cheap fix either.

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
If you are set on a pickup and set on Ford, a late model Ranger with a locking tonneau cover would be good. Your tools would be locked up. I know several Ranger owners and they all love them. Good on gas, easy to drive and you can even get the mighty Vulcan engine. :)

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Hey Brother Roach!
You guys have to go to the hall every day? We only have to go once to pick up the referral, then straight to the site from home for the duration.

I'd go with a 4cyl Ranger myself.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
Dont forget about the "spider Injector" setup that commonly fails as well. It's not a cheap fix either.
2x
Just did my '99 Yukon's spider with the multi port upgrade kit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I second the astro suggestions. Had a 4.3l with the th700r and drove it for 60000miles after buying it with 13000m used. Ball joints and valve seals were the only items I replaced I didn't consider normal wear and tear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
robert6969
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing