Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

What would a fair price be (for the mechanic and me) for replacing all 6 plugs in a 2004 24 valve DOHC?

I'll buy the plugs, boots and manifold upper gasket, and what the hell, a fuel filter too.

The mechanic told me what I would need and he was OK with me buying the parts. He told me initially $180, then he changed the labor cost to $150.

Someone else here said there was no need to replace the upper gasket and to use a bungee cord to hold it up while the 3 plugs under the manifold were removed and replaced.

Help me out here fellas. I just want to make sure $150 is a reasonable charge. If it is, I'll gladly pay it.

Thanks,

Mickey

·
Registered
670 Posts
Do it yourself its easy. If you are sure you can't do it maybe you can look on craiglist for someone or a friend maybe even a co-worker who would probably gladly do that for about $50; i know i would

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I would say that is a fair price. But you do want to replace the upper gasket. Those gaskets do not like to be reused, they will sometimes leak over time even if they are not disturbed.

So you will need a new upper intake gasket and a new EGR gasket. No That way you also fix any upper intake leaks before they happen, or in the early stages. If the vacuum lines are old and cracked, this is a good time to replace them, since they are easier to get to with the upper intake off. Overall not a hard job, just take it at an easy pace.

·
Registered
121 Posts
QUOTE (KhanTyranitar @ May 31 2010, 06:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808184
I would say that is a fair price. But you do want to replace the upper gasket. Those gaskets do not like to be reused, they will sometimes leak over time even if they are not disturbed.

So you will need a new upper intake gasket and a new EGR gasket. No That way you also fix any upper intake leaks before they happen, or in the early stages. If the vacuum lines are old and cracked, this is a good time to replace them, since they are easier to get to with the upper intake off. Overall not a hard job, just take it at an easy pace.[/b]
Good shop will charge 89.00 hr labor. They go by the book on labor charges. If the book says it's a 2 hr job they charge you 2 hrs labor even if the mechanic does it in 45 min.

·
Registered
49 Posts
QUOTE (901-Memphis @ May 30 2010, 06:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808002
Do it yourself its easy. If you are sure you can't do it maybe you can look on craiglist for someone or a friend maybe even a co-worker who would probably gladly do that for about $50; i know i would[/b]

Hi- having recently replaced my Iridium plugs and wiring kit & coil, it's easy, even for a girl like me! It took me an hour and then it took my FORD friend twenty minutes to re-check all I did! That was worth it all! If I might make a suggestion, have a marker or grease pencil to mark your wires etc. My friend laughed at me but when it's your first time always be prepared! Luck to you! :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
$150 seems reasonable. I live in a higher-cost area and I had some issues with my car this past winter. I didn't have the time to do the work, so I took it to a local shop. The labor rate was $112.00 / Hour.

I had new plugs, diagnostic fee, Motorcraft wires, a new length of vacuum hose installed (since the old one blew off), oil change, new oil plug, and possibly a few other small items. Final bill, with the "shop supplies" fee and "hazardous disposal fee" ran me $749. Ouch! I know. But, I wasn't in a position to do the work at the time.

Needless to say, I won't return to the shop for other service; nor, will I recommend a friend to them. Even with all the bucks I spent, I got a rewards card for $65.00 or so off a future service. I may just donate that card to another victim.

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
Where are you located?

I JUST did mine yesterday on my 2004 Tec. All I paid for was for the plugs...and about two hours total, I didn't need to replace the gasket. And this was the first time I changed my plugs, so I was a little nervous about it, but it's not bad.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Buy the plugs, join a TCCA chapter and ask someone in the chapter to help you. Maybe make a maintenance meet out of it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
QUOTE (fdogg96 @ Jun 6 2010, 03:39 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809762
Buy the plugs, join a TCCA chapter and ask someone in the chapter to help you. Maybe make a maintenance meet out of it.[/b]
This sounds like a great idea if you don't have the capabilities to do yourself. I just bought my car two months and the first things I did was replace the plugs, fuel filter and oil change. The only cost was the parts.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I'm willing to throw out my helping hand to you if you're in my area. I'm in process of moving up north so....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts