Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do you suppose a "W" rated Kumho 712 came apart on my way to work on Monday? Somebody sugested it had something to do with running on the dyno at 170, seems a little far fetched to me but about the only logocal reason other then a bad set of tires. Maybe the manufacture was serious when they rated them at only 168 on the "W" speed rating, they aren't giving any extra.
When I originaly heard the slapping inside my fender I thought maybe I had picked up some armidillo roadkill or something like that, but when I pulled off the highway I discovered several slabs of tread and even strips of the steel belts from both front tires peeling off. When I got to the tire shop, they siad they had never seen anything like it on tires with only 15,000 miles and that much tread left. They suggested going with ZR rated Fuzions. Can't say that I am as impressed with them as the Kumho's in the profile department, but I have been told they look good on the car. As for handling, haven't really pushed them hard, but they certainly are quieter then the Kumho's.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I really LOVE my Nitto Neo-Gens. Quiet, sticky, & good looking too. (225/45ZR17)
Must've blown out a belt in the Kunho's or something. We've had some problems w/them on KIA's (factory equip.) at the Dealer I work at, but NOTHING like that!
Some new F150's come w/Kumho's on em' too.

B

·
0 Posts
My best guess would be the dyno run. I know quite a few people that run the 712's and have had no problems like that with them.

I'm hoping Kumho isn't starting to make crap, I just put a set of HP4's on Anonda's car... :(

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
I had a bubble appear on the sidewall of one of my Kumho 712's. It was replaced under warranty at 15K miles.

I put on a set of Yokohama AVS ES100's (235/45-17)... they have been one the best sets of performance tires I've ever run. I have a set of Nitto NeoGen's (215/45-17) on the SVT Contour, and they are a perfect match for the car... also an excellent tire.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
How do you know you were doing 170? Why would you be dynoing in OD?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by SHOZ123@Oct 17 2004, 05:31 PM
How do you know you were doing 170? Why would you be dynoing in OD?
We did 3 pulls starting in 2nd, but after seeing numbers almost 65hp off what I had from a year ago and thinking the SuperChip should have given me more HP, I wanted to see if it in fact at least had some of the other limitations resolved. The other thing I wanted to see was if my HP readings would be the same in third or D and the speed limiter was gone. I ended up taking my foot out of it as I saw the computer monitor through the passenger window was indicating 169 and I got this image of one of the anchors in the drive outside the the building ripping loose and the car lunging forward of the dyno, snapping the the front straps as it blew through the cinder block wall and travelling through two more buildings before getting it stopped. In other words, my mortality sunk in. Speed indication is on the bottom.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Originally posted by ArkanSHO@Oct 17 2004, 10:48 PM
In other words, my mortality sunk in.
Dayum. Let me know if you find anything, I just bought a set of ZR 712's.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess if you keep it under 165 you might be okay? Just for the record, those were the best looking tires I have ever had on my car and they handled phenomonoly. The Fuzions just look a little less agressive from the side.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
i have kumhos hp4 on my 02 sable and they are great so far. They have been awsome in the so cal rains we had here. anyhow i know a few guys that have 712 on impala ss and no issues and they go 140 on a regular basis. anyhow i think kumho is a great tire. L8tr

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Originally posted by ArkanSHO@Oct 18 2004, 04:10 PM
I guess if you keep it under 165 you might be okay? Just for the record, those were the best looking tires I have ever had on my car and they handled phenomonoly. The Fuzions just look a little less agressive from the side.
:thumb: Even better than the Pirellis I had. On-ramp at 85 mph :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Thats pretty crazy they would fly apart like that. :eek:

It had to have been the dyno, because both of them went, and whats the chance they both have a fatal defect like that?

Usually speed ratings are designed for a sustained speed, so the Kuhmos should be good for 168mph sustained speed. I wonder if there was more internal load on them due to being strapped down on the rollers. I dunno, just a guess. :blink:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by jtkz13@Oct 21 2004, 01:48 PM
Thats pretty crazy they would fly apart like that. :eek:

It had to have been the dyno, because both of them went, and whats the chance they both have a fatal defect like that?

Usually speed ratings are designed for a sustained speed, so the Kuhmos should be good for 168mph sustained speed. I wonder if there was more internal load on them due to being strapped down on the rollers. I dunno, just a guess. :blink:
I didn't think about that, but they really strapped it on hard enough to pull the suspension down since one of the other SHO's they had put on this same dyno started violently sliding side to side as the result of the hole in the frame they attached the strap hook to started elongating causing the strap to loosen up. This is why I took my foot out of it since I wasn't chained the the damn thing, but I will be next time.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
It ain't easy doing 170 mph when sitting still.... :shoot:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Shouldn't you have been able to get replacement tires from the warranty?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts