Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put these on a 2004 bubble wagon a few months ago after reading some good reviews here. I went with 225/60/16s and have about 5,000 miles on them. I've been driving back and forth to my Northern Michigan cabin this winter during some wicked road conditions and they blow away the stock Continentals. They balanced perfect, have low road noise and great snow&ice traction. So far, they seem like an awesome low-priced all season. $414.00 mounted and balanced at Discount Tire.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
My boss has been selling these tires like crazy. We used to have Kelly Explorers, they are junk compared to the kr21's Almost all the time they are cheaper.

·
Registered
285 Posts
KUMHO IS CRAP! :rolleyes: If you have a car that actually needs to get traction. Had some on my Trans Am, it would not hook up traction for anything, wet or dry, they just sucked. Worst tires I ever owned. Then there is the fact they are made in CHINA.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
KUMHO IS CRAP! :rolleyes: If you have a car that actually needs to get traction. Had some on my Trans Am, it would not hook up traction for anything, wet or dry, they just sucked. Worst tires I ever owned. Then there is the fact they are made in CHINA.
[/b]
I'll give you the China thing but these are a pretty solid tire according to reviews. Tirerack rated them very high. Great snow and ice traction. I also looked at the Japanese Bridgestones and Yokohamas. The Goodyear triples were a little to steep for the Wagon and I could not see myself going with another set of Continentals. I'm pretty big on Buying American but these seemed like a really good tire. At least I didn't buy a Toyota!

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
A tire to check out would be the Altimax HP, granted, its made by General... They are quiet, They handle great, They work well in wet conditions. I was kind of leary about these at first. But have been very happy about them since.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I don't know about Kumho being crap.

I had Ecsta ASXs on my Sable and Taurus, and I'm putting them on my wife's Mazda 3. They're the best tires I've ever used!

The Mustang GT I just bought has BFG g-Force T/A tires on it, and they're good, but when I need tires, it'll get Kumhos.

JR

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I'm a fan of Kumho too. The Kumho MXs are about the best all around performance tire I've used yet. Cheap, delivers the goods and is street legal.

All the Kumhos I had were made in Korea too FWIW.

Kumho Ecsta Supra 712s, Kumho MXs, Kumho Victor Racers and the Hyundai came with Kumho something somethings, the OEM tires.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I had the KUMHO KH16 tires on my 01 Bull that wore very well. Unfortunately at the time gas was $4 a gallon I was over-inflating them (around 40psi) and they wore out prematurely. However, KUMHO stood by their warranty (even though they didn't need too) and I got the new KR21's at a pro-rated price. I've had them now for about 6000 miles and they are great! Keeping them at the 35psi instead, just to be safe :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts